Making a factory action "custom"

G

I have heard that most of the custom actions have long threads for the barrel to screw into the action , is said to help support the heavier barrels without stressing the action to much or having to go to a barrel block. so here are my thoughts

I have made up a couple recoil lugs for a Savage 110 action that are 3/4" and 1" thick , I'm thinking that if I install them and then weld them to the action to make one solid piece , then when I have the barrel threads recut to the larger size the lug can be threaded also effectivly giving the barrel more threads to be supported by and a larger bedding surface at the front of the action.
Do any of you guys have any thought about this , I have heard fo several gun builders that weld the lug to the action but they are no where near as large of lugs.

if you want to make preect work you can

turn the reciver nose ( between front srcrew and receiver face ) round and center to the bolt axis on 1/4 inch of lenght to get a centeting surface

make a recoil lug with a a blind hole to fit on the centering you have machine on the receiver , after to you can carefully tig weld the recoil under so that make nice thing no welding spot to see on th e top

for welding you need to preheat yourreciver ( 200 ° C ) and use a jig to be sure that recoillug face is in full contact to receiver face and let cool quitet and a long time .

you can mill the top of your recoil lug to let room for your front scope base

that not easy to explain but I can send you a small drawing by mail

recoil lug stem doesn t nede to be very very thick 1/2 is far enought

good shooting

DAN TEC

JD,
I understand what your getting at. How the heat treat of the action will change from welding the extenson to the receiver would be my main concern.

I do think it's a good idea, even if you had to reheat treat it. What I would do, is bevel both edges and weld it all the way around the action.

I recently read the new larger chamberings in the Savage rifles have a near 1 1/8" diameter thread like some of the customs do, still short though.

Bret I was intending on welding the lug the full way round then polishing it back down smooth so it looks like it grew their.

The larger thread that Savage uses on the WSM and Ultramags is the one I was talking about , I usualy have all my action threads recut , and having the lug attached to the front of the acton and threaded would add a good bit of thread area.

I've welded a few lugs on TC Encore barrels with no problems ,just have to heat it up slowley and don't let it cool back down to fast then bring the heat back down in a cooling phase , we did this in a big oven we use at work.

Send me a pic when you do one up, I think you're onto something!
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.