Making A Case For The 308 Winchester By Michael Eichelle

I purchased a new rifle last year. I was debating caliber of course. My friend qualified as expert in the Marines, but can't seem to make a 30-06 perform for him. Part of that was the Ruger he was using, but even with my rifle he couldn't get tight groups. I'm convinced that it is the recoil. I thought I was immune, but when I started shooting 150 gr 777 with 400 gr bullets in my muzzleloader, I found out I flinch too. Lighter is better from the butt end of the rifle.

Years ago, I decided to simplify my loading bench a little so I chose 7mm caliber for all of my long guns. It has the highest b.c. at a reasonable weight. It will drop anything on this continent. I looked all over for information on using the 7mm-08 for elk and didn't find much encouragement. I should have read this article first.

I bought a 7mm WSM in a 5.5 lb. Browning Mountain Ti. I love it! I had 16 lbs. of XMR 4350, so I was hoping to find a good load using it. It was close to elk season, so I didn't have a lot of time to work up loads. Found a good one that the book said was 2700 fps. using Berger 168 gr bullets. More like a 7mm-08 than a WSM velocity, but accurate, and it kicks like a .270. Off I went to the woods to shoot a bull at 350 yards. Took two steps and rolled down the hill.

I can always load up if I need to, but I'm thinking I don't need to. My barrel will last a long time with this load.

There's a great article about medium velocity terminal ballistics at Trajectory, Meat Damage, and Knock-Down

Mike, thanks for making me feel good about the 308. I bought an xs7 marlin, yes its an inexpensive rifle, but my reloads RL15/45 gr and 165 SST Horandys tack a .75 MOA @ 100yds. I can't complain with the accuarcy for the price. Its a basic 308, nothing fancy but accurate none the less. After researching the 308 for months, the choice was easy. I have used the 270 here in VA for deer and find the 130 gr bullets do the job with no problem. But the 270 Win is a grade rifle/wood and I don't care to chew it up in the field anymore. The Marlin with composite stock and beaded barrel is sweet and the trigger sytem works well.

Its a real pleasure to shoot and I would not hesitate at 600yds with it. Its light, easy to handle in the field and I don't for a second doubt the putdown power of it.

Its now my go to. I still love my 270, and may even get another Marlin in 270. Yea they shoot that well.

I've seen a lot of guys at the range with custom barrels that couldn't get them to shoot that well. That's darn good for a light and inexpensive rifle.

On a recent Barbary sheep hunt a friend says he can get any rifle to shoot well (cloverleafs at 100 yards) if he tries enough loads. Being retired, he has time to try them.

I shot mine at 385 yards, and had 5" three shot groups. At 500 yards, it was ugly. I'll keep working on it, but I'm confident at 400. Unfortunately didn't see any sheep, so I'll have to wait for next year. I'm going this month for javelina, but I think I'll carry my Contender pistol. It is really light.

One can not expect good groups at 500 and 600 yards if they are not getting good groups at 100 and 200 yards. Problems up close are exponential at distance.

Have a mentor who is already doing what you want to do.

A good shooting 308 should be shooting 5 shoot groups in the teens and low 2s and 10 shot groups in the low to mid 3s at 100 yards.

Don't waste your time and money at 500 and 600 yards if you casn't accomplish the above listed standard. You have to walk before you casn run.

Make your self a check list one dealing with the hardware and its issues.

The make yourself a check list for your components.

Track the conditions.

Always have a spotter coach. Alternate the shooter and coach and see if problems get better or worse.

Keep a log of targets and a record of changes.

Nat Lambeth

I bought my first .308 about 4 months ago and I love it. I have only been able to shoot paper but i can see the potential it has. It's a Thompson Center Venture with 22" barrel and 5r rifling and 1:10 twist. I am going to start reloading it soon. I currently shoot 168gr sierra matchking and this is usually has the best groups. I was wondering if the 168gr would be good to use on an elk at 400yds? If something would be better please let me know. thanks for all the help

I bought my first .308 about 4 months ago and I love it. I have only been able to shoot paper but i can see the potential it has. It's a Thompson Center Venture with 22" barrel and 5r rifling and 1:10 twist. I am going to start reloading it soon. I currently shoot 168gr sierra matchking and this is usually has the best groups. I was wondering if the 168gr would be good to use on an elk at 400yds? If something would be better please let me know. thanks for all the help

My opinion on the 168 SMK for elk is not good. My top picks for a 400 yard elk load would be the 165-180 ACCUBONDS, 200 SGK, 168 Barnes or similar bullets. When the new Barnes 175 LRX hits the scene, I think that will be tough to beat.

M

I shot and eastern NC 615 pound black bear at a measured 880 yards with a 180 Swift Scirocco running 2700 fps from my F-Class rifle. I had a quartering away shot. The bullet entered about 4 ribs back from the shoulder slightly above mid height. The post mortem showed. The bullet entered through the skin, a rib, then the thoratic cavity, ripping through both lungs, the aorta, and exiting the ribs on the far side, where it broke the shoulder blade and rested under the skin on the far side. I recovered the bullet. The recovered bullet was expanded back to about .388 diameter and still weighed 173 grains after washing. The bear trraveled approximately 20 yards some of which may have been gravity down into a 20 foot ditch. The entry wound was about the size of a quarter. The bullet performed as expected. I normally shoot the 150 grain Scirocco for whitetails. I have had the same good luck with Nosler Accubonds but feel the Swift Scirocco has something to add. If I were elk hunting over 200 yards I would prefer my 300 Win Mag. If hunting elk beyond 600 yards I would prefer a 338 Edge. Just my thoughts. A good bullet in the right spot with enough energy to reach the vitals will kill what ever you are shooting. An entry and exit wound with significant wound channel will enhance quarry recovery. As the Great Bob Hagel said there is no such thing as "to much gun or overkill, dead is dead".
Nat Lambeth

My opinion on the 168 SMK for elk is not good. My top picks for a 400 yard elk load would be the 165-180 ACCUBONDS, 200 SGK, 168 Barnes or similar bullets. When the new Barnes 175 LRX hits the scene, I think that will be tough to beat.

M

Thank you for your response Michael. You have helped me out a bunch. I will look into your helpful hints.

You knew it would happen so here is the dud post for this thread. I own a Rem Model 40 SSA in 308. A friend bought it for me to shoot feral hogs with. I was using a SKS and was loving it. I did not especially want a 308 but that is what he bought. I normally shoot an average of 12 hogs a week, sometimes 40 in one week and sometimes none for the week. I don't shoot deer, I don't shoot elk, moose, bear or anything else but varmints and hogs. I've shot 180, 165 and 150 grain bullets of every manufacture and my little gun would group them at about an inch at 100 yards. Not shabby but not extra spiffy either. I did not like any of the above bullets for what I do. I shoot 98% of my hogs on the run out of a pickup window (both sides) and you never seem to get the stock in the right position to avoid a painful kick. I've wore the internet out looking for something better and after reading how sorry the 125 grain Nosler BT's were I had to try them. My little rifle loved them at 2900 fps and would group three shots at .19 with anybodys and everybodys brass or a mix anytime of the day. The little Nosler shoots faster, flatter and with less recoil than anything else I've tried in 30 cal. The hogs loved them too! Some shots don't go all the way through and that's what I wanted. Nothing sounds better than rolling a 300 pound plus boar over and hearing that sloshing sound. I've shot them from 25 feet to 300 or more yards broadside, shots at angle, length wise front and back with the same results.

Everyone told me the 308 would be versatile and inherently accurate and they were right and I could not be happier about it! Some friends are just worth keeping!! I just wish it would reload as fast as the SKS.

The .308 makes a fine all-around hunting caliber as you detail it. I also consider survival situations in national-international disaster, and availability of ammo makes me think of the .308. It and the 5.56 are likely the two most available calibers worldwide.

Therefore, I just bought a rifle in .308. Son-in-law has used a .308 for several years on elk up to 400 yards, though he's now gone a little crazy with a 7mm STW. Of course the muzzle blast deafens him and his hunting partners, what with the muzzle brake...

The 308 with handloaded ammo, quality scope, and practice, makes an easy 500yd "Anything in North America" rifle.

It is of course an excellent choice based on the availability of ammo alone.

My Remi-700 with Mark 4, 6.5-20 x 50mm with TMR is killing clay pigeons all day long out to 500yds.

Can't find more options of bullet selection than the 30cal either.

All my friends and family hunt with a magnum, and give me a hard time for using my "little" 308. I still keep making hits that they cannot (because I can practice more for the same price) and everything I hunt seems to die just as much as those shot with the big magnums.

I love my 308, and can't wait to rebarrel in 308.!!!!

The 308 is a fine caliber for deer and pigs with the right selection of round.
I have taken Deer and Pigs with one shot 'Down Kills" Using the Hornady 150 Grain A-Max. Used at 100-200 yards
I also use a Remington 700 CDL in 7mm Rem Mag in Texas for open country and longer shots. 150 Graingun)

Fine article. I bought a Savage Target rifle (model 12 P/TR in .308) based on some of these conclusions, including long barrel-life...

However I now have a .308 with a 30" barrel with a 1 in 12" twist rate. What bullets greater than 155 grains can I properly stabilize (at long range i.e. 600 yards plus) ?

168 gr A-max ??

165 gr Ballistic-Tip ?

165 gr Swift Scirroco ?

I hope that I'm not limited to 150 gr by my rifle choice. The 30" barrel should help me nearly reach 30-06 velocities (in a normal 22" rifle) so that should help...

Fine article. I bought a Savage Target rifle (model 12 P/TR in .308) based on some of these conclusions, including long barrel-life...

However I now have a .308 with a 30" barrel with a 1 in 12" twist rate. What bullets greater than 155 grains can I properly stabilize (at long range i.e. 600 yards plus) ?

168 gr A-max ??

165 gr Ballistic-Tip ?

165 gr Swift Scirroco ?

I hope that I'm not limited to 150 gr by my rifle choice. The 30" barrel should help me nearly reach 30-06 velocities (in a normal 22" rifle) so that should help...

The 12x will stabilize the 190-200 grain bullets. HOWEVER, these are not optimum bullet lengths for this twist. Good accuracy is very common. It takes a bit longer for 190-200 grain pills to settle down with the 12x at 308 velocities.

Any of the 155's, 165's, 168's, 175's, 178's and 180's will shine in the 12x 308.

With a 30" barrel you will see some very good velocities. Many guys are getting 2750+ with the 175-178's in 26" barrels. You could easily hit the 2800-2830 mark.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.