Making 300 RUM cases out of Norma 404 Jeffery cases?

Kanab

I want some higher quality cases for my 300 RUM and a 338 RUM I am having built. Are the Norma 404 Jeffery cases a possible source to form some out of? Is the case wall thickness at the web of the Norma brass at least equal to the Remington RUM cases?

How to get high quality 300, 338 RUM brass?

What about purchasing 2,000 once fired cases and sorting them by weight/run out?
not .338 case is .1" shorter due to neck being blown out of 300 Brass (to form the .338) (at least that's what remington tech support told me).

The RUM cases are based on the 404 case, but with a rebated rim so they will fit in the smaller american actions.
The 338RUM fits well in the Rem 700 for instance, but the 338 Lapua requires opening the boltface up.
Where does a guy go about buying 2000 pieces of once fired RUM cases?

Re: How to get high quality 300, 338 RUM brass?

[ QUOTE ]
What about purchasing 2,000 once fired cases and sorting them by weight/run out?
not .338 case is .1" shorter due to neck being blown out of 300 Brass (to form the .338) (at least that's what remington tech support told me).

[/ QUOTE ]

Remington's web site says that the 338 RUM was shortened so that the full range of .338 bullets could be used in the confines of the Rem 700 Action.

Hello My first poast have stumbled upon this site. There are other people like me . I have always enjoyed shooting far away, with every thing that shoots accutarely. On the weekend I was at the gun show in Calgary and picked my First 300 rum in a light weight Christensen's Arms beautyful accurate carry around long range D.R.T. rifle it also had a 5-22 night force scope on it . I never did like Rem brass so started looking for brass and federal 300 rum brass at ph# 1-307-686-4008
I would like to get 250 rds to canada but it looks like i am going to have a hare time getting it here.

Fenceline,
Welcome to LRH.
You might talk to Ian M, one of our moderators. He's a canadian, and is well versed in getting "gun stuff" into the frozen north.

I had also thought about using 404 jeffrey brass for my 338 ultra.What is the case head size on a 404? I might be able to turn them down on a lathe. Thanks.

404 Jeffery 300 RUM
Head 0.5450 Head 0.5500
Rim 0.5430 Rim 0.5340

Here are the differences.I believe Federal now makes 300RUM brass.

Don UT,
Help me understand, I have a plain Remington 300 RUM I shoot remington brass and is very accurate, usually my first two shots go into one hole and 3 shots within 1/2" if I do my job. Why then would any one need better brass? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mainly time and effort, plus case life.

I have to cull out about 20% of the Remington brass that is way out when sorting. It shoots poorly before fire forming, (I can get sub 1/3 inch groups with lapua brass right out of the box with ZERO case prep!), it doesn't last nearly as long as Winchester / Norma / Lapua brass, about half the case life, and the necks are simply horrible (concentricity and wall thickness).

This isn't just with the 300 RUM, but virtually every bag of Remington brass I have purchased in the last 10 months or so. I had several cases with massively deformed necks / shoulders, some that I couldn't even use due to deformity or neck wall thickness that was 'unturnable'. It is like they don't even inspect them.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.