Mailman's future ram spotted!

goodgrouper

Mailman\'s future ram spotted!

Went out shooting and forgot my **** dies so the range session was cut short so I decided to go look for some rocky mountain rams instead.

I found these guys out playing around and there just happened to be a monster in the herd. This big boy is the one that Karl Malone paid a rumored $75,000 to get to hunt this fall. He is around 180" with about 15.5" bases. He is king of the hill for sure. All the other rams followed him around everywhere but not too close!

Karl had dontated huge money to FNAWS here in Utah and paid for the majority of the sheep on this mountain so I guess it's fitting that he gets first crack at the big one a month before the other guy with a tag for this unit gets to hunt. Bad thing is, the next closest ram size-wise is not even in the same realm as big boy. I'm glad I didn't put in for this unit!

malonesrocky1.jpg

malonesrocky3.jpg

malonesrocky4.jpg

malonesrocky2.jpg

Re: Mailman\'s future ram spotted!

Do you know where there is a big desert sheep in the Kaipoworitz unit? I am only betting against 1:100 odds.

That is my favorite unit. We have taken two rams out of that unit including the unit record for the East.

You (being a non-resident) can hunt East, West, or Escalante sub-units. Most guys from out of state hunt the Escalante or the West as this is where the biggest rams are. If you put your time in and can make a long shot, you can score a Boone and Crockett ram in the Escalante.

There are rams in these areas that have never seen a human being and the hunt is rigorous, especially the Escalante Kaiparowitz sub unit. The East and the West units do have primitive roads but they are routinely washed out, and unimproved. You can hunt the East from a houseboat on Lake Powell but the waves that time of the year get pretty big and might strand you on a deserted beach somewhere.
This is some of the most remote country in the world but also some of the most beautiful.

Keep your fingers crossed. Somebody has got to draw that tag!

Here's where you'll be hunting. It is the haystack and you are after the needle:
rockcreekbaywithspottingscope.jpg

GG
NICE PICTURES!!
Keep posting pictures and maybe Karl will hire you to guide him or pay a finders fee for a gps location!!

when you pass this to Karl we'll have a new slogan!!
"GOODGROUPER TO MALONE" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

CAM

I applied for East. For some reason the odds looked better.

I think I am going to apply for Desert bighorn in New Mexico and Nevada also.

I hope you get the tag and you're right, it has the best odds. This is the unit that I drew in 2003 and the pic above comes from the far east section of the East unit. It is a fun hunt. You have some help with it <u>when</u> you draw! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GG,
Been puttin' in for there too. How many points did you have? I figure I have a good chance of getting old and dying before drawing a tag. But, I still hope. Every year.

I drew on the fourth year putting in and then the very next year, my dad drew on his 3rd year! I used up all my luck in ones season I'm afraid.

The East unit usually has two tags of which one will go to someone without max points. That is not very good odds but most people put in for other units with more access. The San Juan Lockhart unit is the next best odds and it is a pretty easy hunt. These two units have twice as good of odds to draw than any other unit.

Hopefuly Mr. Malone only gets a shot at the Ram on Sunday... I think we all know what happens to The Mailman when he tries to deliver on the Sabath!! I don't think I need to remind any of you Jazz fans about that. I guess it's a good thing it's Karl hunting that hogg... not Air Jordan.
That's an awesome ram... I hope you get your chance at'em.

Rick
I don't know much about sheep! but looks like a full curl to me?
I think the first pic is Rocky Mt big horn same as what you hunt. Then the question was ask about Desert big horn and thus the pic of lake powell area!
That is why the county is so different, different animal.

That is beautiful county in your picture, looks like you could ride right up to the snow, I believe in GG's second pic you might as well leave the ponys at home. Thats what makes that country so rugged.

Post some pics of the sheep you have taken would love to see them!

CAM

GG,
Excititng to hear you drew quickly. I put in for the same unit for the same reasons. Your pics and stories are fantastic. I love the area. Hopefully I'll get to hunt it soon.

I should have high odds for drawing my archery elk tag this year. Who knows, maybe a sheep too. Should be about due for a bear as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.