MAGNUM PUNCH in an '06

Elkaholic
Very impressive Sir. Excellent Accuracy and performance.
Have you done any pressure testing? I run a 30-06 Ackley using 61 grains of N160 to push a 175 Grain Berger at 2975fps but have no idea if i am fooling myself by getting these figures at the expense of high pressures.
Does the Ackley and your Sherman shape of case mask pressure signs untill things get interesting?
My Ackley cases show no signs of pressue and have been loaded many times.

What i am saying is if we were to load a standard 06 to the same pressures as my Ackley and your Sherman would we see much of a difference in performance?

Many thanks

Brit.

Yes, you would see a difference in performance. It is true that the case design tends to masque pressure signs but I think the Sherman is nearly 200' faster than an 'o6........Rich

Here is the case forming process that I prefer: The pics are from L to R
Left..................270W
second..............270 necked up to .338"
third..................338 PARTIALLY necked to .308"
last....................fire formed 300 Sherman

I run my 300 die down the neck just far enough so that there is resistance when closing the bolt (for proper head spacing)
Drop 12 grains of Red Dot shotgun powder, or equivalent, into case, fill to neck with cream of wheat, place a cotton or paper plug in neck and fire away. You can use any large rifle primer.......Rich DSCF0478.jpg

I can reach 3100' with 190 grainers in a 28" barrel. You could expect to max out around 2950' with a 24". The case is a 300 Sherman and is compared to a .270 case in the pic.......RichView attachment 18013

For comparison, I shoot the same 190 gr bullet at 3050 fps out of my 300 Win Mag with a 25 1/2" barrel. And I'm pushing pressures to healthy levels using Lapua brass. So this modified '06 casing is providing very similar MV to my 300 Win Mag. I'm burning 81.2 gr of H1000 with Federal 215M primers.

For comparison, I shoot the same 190 gr bullet at 3050 fps out of my 300 Win Mag with a 25 1/2" barrel. And I'm pushing pressures to healthy levels using Lapua brass. So this modified '06 casing is providing very similar MV to my 300 Win Mag. I'm burning 81.2 gr of H1000 with Federal 215M primers.

At 3100' I'm pushing some mighty healthy pressures:D That's why I keep it down around 3050'. My barrel is probably worth close to 100' over your 25 1/2".......Rich

Cool stuff for sure. Thanks for posting the pics! Smokin' performance from the old 30 Otter. Got me thinking. I'm saving for elk season right now,but after this years hunt I might have to give this a whirl.

That's cool.

Is there a 270 Sherman??

There is a 6.5, (the original), a .280, and a .300. A .270 would be the easiest of all since that is the parent case anyway. If you want, I will help you with the details and you can be the first:D. It would come close to the 270 WSM in performance. You would likely get close to 3200' with a 150 grain in a 26" barrel......Rich

I'm interested.

I have been interested in a 270/300wm for a while but this would be a lot easier I think(and cheaper).

The rifle I am interested in chambering in the Sherman is a M700DBM in 270. It is basically a safe queen but I keep it because it is a detachable box magazine rifle. It might make a pretty interesting rifle in 270 Sherman with the 165 Matrix bullet and some of the other offerings coming out!

Would the reamer clean the existing chamber?

I'm interested.

I have been interested in a 270/300wm for a while but this would be a lot easier I think(and cheaper).

The rifle I am interested in chambering in the Sherman is a M700DBM in 270. It is basically a safe queen but I keep it because it is a detachable box magazine rifle. It might make a pretty interesting rifle in 270 Sherman with the 165 Matrix bullet and some of the other offerings coming out!

Would the reamer clean the existing chamber?

I don't actually have a .270 Sherman reamer so this has never been done, but it can be. We did a .280 Sherman using the 6.5 Sherman reamer in conjunction with a .280 A.I. (to get the neck and throat dimension). The .270 case is 2.540" and the Sherman is 2.525" so this would be doable.....Rich

I don't actually have a .270 Sherman reamer so this has never been done, but it can be. We did a .280 Sherman using the 6.5 Sherman reamer in conjunction with a .280 A.I. (to get the neck and throat dimension). The .270 case is 2.540" and the Sherman is 2.525" so this would be doable.....Rich

This is what your .270 Sherman would look like only .013" larger diameter bullet since the pics are of a .270 case on left and 6.5 Sherman on right....RichDSCF0480.jpg

Rich, I'll throw a couple 270 165 Matrix bullet in with the box so you can see the fit of the actual bullet that would rock in your case design!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.