Magnum Primers in .3006?

kc

I am finging to often that the primer I use in .3006 loads fail when I use DUPONT IMR 4064.
This problem is getting old with me, I follow the same load I have used over the last 40 years
and I just cant understand, also I get hang fires and misfires.

I've had good results with Federal 215's and H-4831 in my 30-06. It's a full case and I use the 200 grain Accubond currently, but 215's and H-4831 have served well for a long time. Which bullet, and how much 4064?

First let me say thank you for getting back to me, I am hurting a bunch my back went out and I am waiting for my pain killers to start working, I am a mess.
I believe the primers were CCI Bench Rest, I think they were 115s, they are stored in a dry place
a whole lot better than any other place, they are stored with a bunch of silaca packs to keep it as dry as it can be.

First let me say thank you for getting back to me, I am hurting a bunch my back went out and I am waiting for my pain killers to start working, I am a mess.
I believe the primers were CCI Bench Rest, I think they were 115s, they are stored in a dry place
a whole lot better than any other place, they are stored with a bunch of silaca packs to keep it as dry as it can be.

Check on your seating dept. Try to seat them all equal and proper - not over-crushing. I had similar problems and I had fixed the problem by attending more to seat properly and evenly.

I have used IMR4064 in a couple of cartridges but not 30/06 and never had any ignition problems. I always use Winchester WLRP primers as they are a little hotter than most other brands without having to use magnum primers. I have only used CCI and Win primers in rifle cartridges and prefer the Winchesters but the CCI worked okay.

The primers you speak of (cci benchrest) should be CCI BR2s and run neck an neck with Fed 210Ms in consistency and reliability, not as hot as wlrp but more consistent. I think personally your primers are seated to deep or the most likely reason, your firing pin is wore and you need to check the protrusion and make sure its coming out far enough, the anvil of CCI primers is much harder than other primers and if they aren't geting hit hard enough they will misfire aand sometimes hang fire.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.