made my first batch

emn83

Well, I finally made the time and loaded my very first batch of ammo last night. Gotta say, loading was pretty relaxing, and I'm looking forward to testing the loads. I loaded 178 gr Hornady A-Max on top of Varget powder and CCI 200 primers, in Hornady Match Brass with a COL of 2.8 inches (planning on getting a Hornady head space gauge or RCBS Precision Mic in the near future).

I used a friend's system for development, where he loads 6 rounds of ammo for each variable difference so he can shoot two 3 round groups for each load. I'll do more exhaustive testing when I have a better idea what I am doing

I just loaded four different powder amounts, at 97.7%, 95.5% 93.3% and 91.1% of Max for my .308, which was just 44, 43, 42, 41 gr. I'm planning on fine tuning the loads more after this, but I wanted to do something fairly simple for my first load.

I should have time to go and test the ammo either tonight or tomorrow, so I'' post some results when I have them.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.