M1 or M2 Turrets???

TA1911A1

Now that I'm getting more into the science of long range hunting, I'm getting ready to send my Leupold 4.5X14X40 VX-IIIL in for new turrets and I'm getting hung up on the decision for the M1 - 1/4" MOA turrets or the M2 - 1/2" MOA low profile turrets. This is my hunting rig only and not intended for target shooting. I can see the benefit of the M1's being able to dial in an exact dope. But the lower profile M2 with a BDC calibrated turret seems like a easy and accurate enough solution for quick and ethical adjustments out to about 700-900 yards.

At this time I'm leaning towards the M2 BDC turrets for due to the quick range acquisition in the heat of the moment although it limits me somewhat to one specific load.

Any thoughts on the real world hunting experience of these two styles of turrets would be welcome. TA

I have to agree with Jeff 300 on this one, if you were running a comp gun to smack steel with all day, go M2 w/ no worries. But you aren't. You are shooting at a living breathing animal that requires far more precise shot placement. 1/2 moa @ 900yds is just over 4.5".... with ONE click, thats quite a bit of room for error when playing with animals. I would heartily recommend the M1's or even better the target turrets that are capped. That way the turret can't "accidentally" be rotated :D

This is a preference and you are gonna get lots of opinions. So I will give you mine- I currently shoot rifles that have scopes with 1/4, 1/2, and 1 MOA as well as 1/10 mil. I have had a Leupold with 1/10 MOA. I'm with the other two on this one, if I were to choose between your options for hunting out to 900 I would go with the 1/4 MOA M1 or covered turrets. I have shot the 1/2 MOA and 1 MOA scopes to 1000 yards and don't let anybody tell you they aren't effective. You will have to do some hold over/under, so it's all a matter of knowing how to use whatcha got and paying attention.

I've never used anything but 1/4moa so take this with a grain of salt. I hear guys talk about 1/2 moa being so much quicker. It takes me 1-2 seconds to dial up my turrets. I don't see the need for worrying about shaving milliseconds off of that. I'll take precision over speed every time. I don't believe the 1/8moa turrets are necessary for my intended purposes however.

Shortpants,

Thanks for the insight. 1-2 seconds to dial your dope is plenty quick enough. My fear was that I might get into 5-10 second dialing delay once I identified my target. Obviously I've never dealt with dialing in my turrets to make a shot huh.....

In the begging all things come slow but with practice come confidence and then speed. Don't ever let speed come before confidence! In LRH you usually have time to set up properly for a shot. Get away from the bench and go practice with your hunting gear in the field. It's nice to know what works and what doesn't before faced with it in a hunting situation. Smooth is fast. Panic is wasted time and opportunity!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.