M1 Garand??

longrange.270

I would like to find a pretty descent M1 Garand. I looking at one at a dealer the other day and they wanted $775 for it and I was thinking of offering $600, to see if they would blink. It seemed to be in pretty descent shape, stock wasnt cracked or nothing. The barrel was replaced back in 54', the guy said. Overall the rifle just looked pretty good for its age. My question is what does a guy look for when looking at a Garand? Is there things that would stand out and tell a guy that this wouldnt be a good rifle. Is there anyway to check barrel wear and what not. I know you can buy them off CMP for like $595 for field grade. If you got any words of wisdom that would be great. I am looking at spending about $600 for one. Thanks Jake

You'll want to check muzzle wear and throat erosion. Gauges are made specifically for this. You can usually find them on GunBroker, or you might find a local smith with a set that you can use. In a pinch, muzzle wear can be estimated by inserting a loaded round bullet first into the muzzle. If it easily enters past the ogive, pass on that one. Examine the crown, and the bore. Ideally use a bore scope to check the bore - just a flashlight and your eyeball can miss a lot of stuff! Crack it out of the stock and examine wear surfaces. Check the op rod and firing pin. Most are very serviceable, but I have seen one where the barrel had been WELDED to the receiver below the stock line...it was an 8 MOA wallhanger at that point...I'd pass if they won't let you remove it from the stock. If you don't know how, there are instructions on the CMP website.

The CMP rifles are a pretty safe bet. The Service grade rifle is the one for $595. Usually a couple months after you order before you get one. CMP also has the Greek ammo right now that shoots very well in the M1 - we use a lot of it at the Garand matches at our local club.

Have fun,
Brian

The service grade from the CMP is the rifle to get. This meets the specks for the rifle to be put back into military service they have good TE and MW numbers. Field grade rifles are safe to shoot but they did not meet the specks to be allowed to be put back into military service. The only M1 Garands that you will find that have all matching parts are collector grade and they are very hard to find and very $$$$. I have an all matching 1954 Springfield. Read up on the Garand to learn how to pick one. There is all kinds of information on the internet.

What kind of accuracy is an off the shelf service grade Garand capable of? Most of what I have read leads me to believe they don't exactly shoot 1" groups at 100 yards. I'd like to get one myself, but I don't want to buy one that needs much more $$ put into it so it can shoot straight.

The standard service grade M1 accuracy specks, if my memory is correct, is 3 inch or under groups at 100 yards with service M2 ball ammo. You are not going to get 1 inch groups at 100 yards with a M1 Garand unless you do quite a bit of work on it and have good ammo and really know how to shoot a M1 rifle. Remember the CMP M1's are 50 year and older rifles and most have been reworked a number of times. They are fun rifles to shoot and the history alone behind them is worth owning one. The M1 Garand is what you owe your freedom to.

I have a fondness towards the M1 Garand for the historical reasons. Eventually I'll buy one too, but for right now I can't spent money on rifle that shoots 3" @ 100. I think every vet has a certain affection towards the rifle they carried and all its predecessors for the freedoms they've protected. I'll always have a special place for the AR platform just for that reason.

I would like to find a pretty descent M1 Garand. I looking at one at a dealer the other day and they wanted $775 for it and I was thinking of offering $600, to see if they would blink. It seemed to be in pretty descent shape, stock wasnt cracked or nothing. The barrel was replaced back in 54', the guy said. Overall the rifle just looked pretty good for its age. My question is what does a guy look for when looking at a Garand? Is there things that would stand out and tell a guy that this wouldnt be a good rifle. Is there anyway to check barrel wear and what not. I know you can buy them off CMP for like $595 for field grade. If you got any words of wisdom that would be great. I am looking at spending about $600 for one. Thanks Jake

Jake
PM Specweldtom and ask him all of these questions and he will answer most if not all
of them.

I know very little about them and he recomended one with all the right parts and it will
shoot 3/4 MOA even hot enough to make the rifle stink of burnt oil and wood.

and if you find a good one and want a custom barrel Krieger makes a fine one.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks to all the replys. I went back to the dealer a few days ago and he had sold it. So I guess the dream will have to wait for a bit till I find another one. Thanks Jake

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.