Lyman 1200dps 3

dustybrown

Has any one used or tried to use the lyman auto dps1200 ? What a giant *** !!! 299 $ guess I should have known it was made in china... Worked for one reloading session. I checked the charegs with my 5-0-5 and it was close for the initial session. I reloaded fifty 22-250 and it was so fast... was happy...
Pluged it in today and let it do its 30 min warm up and went to run some retumbo for my 300 rum and none of the buttons would work.... I went through this 3 times and finaly put it back in the box.... Its going back tomorrow!!!!

I have basicly the same problem with my Hornady autocharge... Worked for about 2weeks an 300rnds, now entire rows of buttons randomly don't work.

Welcome to the wonneful world of digital gadgets, virtually all of which wear a "made in China" tag. (Probably including your computer, TV, cell phone, etc)

The glowing praise of all things "new!", "modern", "cutting edge", "digital", etc, attracts buyers in droves so the sellers can continue to ask a lot and get very high profits on them. Fact is, if you get a good one it's a good one. If not...well it's just a matter of luck anyway. And they're ALL way over-priced.

No digital anythings are on my bench, I trust ME! That means I want and have total control of everything in my loading room. My manual powder measures, beam scales and triclers work all the time and every time.

I just read "reviews from past buyers" on midway and cabellas.... it looks like a crap shoot for all the dif. brand chargers.... lyman , pact, rcbs, horaday... they all have 5 star owners and plenty of unhappy 1 star owners... I thought I was safe when I chose my dps1200 because right next to the made in china sticker was a huge QC number and date sticker !!! How could I go wrong ??? by the way its Inspecter #0946732 Does any one know how to get a hold of this person ?

My dad once said " a fool and his money shall soon be departed"

But on a serious note I loaed 50 rounds in the time it normaly takes to prep brass.... it was nice not to strain the old eyes looking at a balance for an hour.
Dont get me wrong I enjoy reloading but this was the best thing since sliced bread when it worked for the only time... Now im obsesed to find the one that works...

"...it was nice not to strain the old eyes looking at a balance for an hour. "

You have your scale sitting on the bench top? If so, that's a bad method! Get/make a box or shelf that raises the scale up nearer your eyes; about chin level works well for me.

Every magnetically damped scale I've ever seen will stop in 2-3 swings and that takes 2-3 seconds; not a lot of squinty staring in that!

I personaly have a rcbs 1500 works good ,I am happy with it. Tewo of my buddys have the lyman 1200 both of them are happy with theirs also, I will say the 1200 lyman is considerbly faster then my rcbs.

My Lyman 1200 is about three years old. The only issue it has is that the beeper will quit working after about 100 loads. I test with my 505 about every 5 charges.

Brent

have had 4of these. sold two, but use the other 2. one is the 1200 the other the 1200-3. had a problem with the -3 model, sent it back and they repaired button problem. use these 2 all the time and like 'em.

Last edited:
Guess I have been lucky. I bought my 1200 years ago and it works like a champ. Only button problem I have is I have used it so much I have worn the print off of the enter button..:D I for one was very glad to retire my beam scale to the closet and hae not seen it since. I check the scale often with a bullet of known weight and the scale is spot on. 2 kernals of H-1000 is 1/10th of a grain and it measures it with extreme accuracy. That works for me.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.