LUCKY.....GROUP......CLUB ( BI - PODS - ..ONLY )

S1

This might be slightly off topic/target, but in referrence to Doc's 95 gr very lucky duckies, and the shooting there-of...you mentioned in the line-up a barrel having a 1-9" twist, which I understand is the Berger recommended twist, and is often recommended by quite a few others. I talked with Walt Berger, and he seemed to think for an altitude of 1200 feet and greater, the 1-9.5" twist would be optimum if MV is kept above 2300.
frown.gif
I knoweth not! I'm thinking about a 1-9.5"; you...have any thoughts on that? -- like, 'No, you fool!--don't do it unless you want maximum energy transfer to targets at close-intermediate range.'

Oh, and on topic, the best bi-pod shooting I've done thus far was a .826" at 487 yards; three shots. I don't shoot off a bi-pod often, which is why my skills are less than appealing. Hoping to work a LOT on the ol` standing position.

Howdy Cybra

Walt is a pretty shrewd Dude! Having never tested the 95 VLD in a 9.5" twist I can not answer the question. The 105 A-MAX stabilizes out past 1,200 yds. in a 9" twist, so Walt could be right on the money. Keep in mind that the barrel length and load have a huge effect on the resulting RPM, and could easily be the difference between it working really well out of a 28" barrel running 3,440 fps., and not so well with a 24" barrel running the same bullet 3,360 fps.

Walt and I have vastly different methods for barrel cleaning and care, but when it come to his bullet designs, he is nails.

I have asked Walt several questions over the years, about twist rates with his bullets, and he has NEVER steered me wrong, or given me bad data.

[ 01-10-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

Denny

I shoot 175 grain sierra out of my 308 win with Varget and Lapua brass. The rifle is a Robar SR90 with Robar's match chamber, no neck turning required. I do not do much prep work on the brass at all, just load em and have fun.

When it comes to shooting 100 yards I'm mentally retarded. I hate shooting at 100 yards and avoid it as much as possible. I tend to shoot smaller groups at 200 yards.

I'll do between 3-6 shots at 100 and I'm ready to move on, I have noticed that it helps me tighten up my groups if I put a bunch of small dots on the target and go for one shot hits on each dot.

Here's a picture from my last time out. This is a three shot group at 200 yards.
Picture1.jpg

[ 01-10-2003: Message edited by: sr90 ]

The torque definitely affects accuracy more off hard surfaces, that is what drove us to develop a better brake.
smile.gif

S1

Do muzzle brakes have a standard thread and are interchangeable? if not do you have to rethread the barrel or custom thread the break for the existing barrel thread?

Is it as easy as take one off and install the new or is it more important?

What is the cost for a anti-torqure brake?

Has this proven to help even at benchrest?

Do you prefer the old style of harris or the new pivot style?

Thank you for your time.

[ 01-11-2003: Message edited by: Cam ]

Howdy Cam

1) No, the thread is not standard, and they are not interchangeable, for right hand twist barrels we use LH fine stuff, with a slight taper.

2) We rethread the barrel always, so the fit is perfect, after the brake has been made. The threads are hand lapped with the brake to a very tight tolerance.

3) I do not understand the question. Please restate.

4) Cost runs between $280 (.223 rem.)and $420 (50 BMG) installed with a perfect crown included.

5) It does improve accuracy even on benchrest rifles. Because so many rifles shoot so well, well enough to win on any given day, the rifle is rarely the determining factor. Many benchrest classes prohibit brakes, or force a restricted diameter, so it will depend on the class and caliber size, as to the degree of effectiveness.

6) I have always liked the 'S' series bipod. The first thing I do when I pull one out of the bag, is tighten the nut on the swivel pivot a great deal. I do not want the swivel to move unless I deliberately reposition the rifle with significant force. This has always worked really well for me, to remove cant, but not have the rifle losing alignment while shooting multiple shots.
smile.gif

[ 01-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

S1

I think so, but I didn't record it. I know it wasn't a cold barrel shot as I had shot a few other groups previous to this one, the largest 5 shot group at 200 yards was around 1 inch.

sr90

That rifle looks like an excellent set up, have you tried goin up .3 of a grain, or going out .010" on your overall length?

S1

I haven't messed with the load much, I did do a bit of load development and settled on 43-43.2 grains of Varget. I seat the bullets to fit the magwell at 2.81" (I believe) My throat is a bit longer than I want it, I don't remember the exact length but will look it up. Seems like it is 2.93 or 2.95".

I have shot around 1000 rounds through the rifle though.

I use Redding Comp dies, no expander ball, I am actually looking to buy one but haven't looked around.

I will bet you a little experimentation with neck tension or load, and that rifle will shoot em all in one hole! I would stay away from the expander balls.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.