LRM or LR primers in a 7 SAUM

rootacres

For those that have some experience with this, am I loosing performance in some way by using a large rifle primer in leu of a large rifle magnum primer in my 7 saum? My research thus far has just mentioned trying both to see what's the most accurate. I have a pretty solid load worked up using H4350 and LRMs but figured I'd ask. Thanks

A 7 SAUM is right in between LR and LRM primers. My rule of thumb is if the Cartridge is below 60 Grs of powder then I lean towards a standard primer and if it is above 60 grains of powder I lean towards a magnum primer. That is certainly not set in stone and if it is close to 60 grains then I will often times try both to see which preforms better on target or Chronograph. With a shortage and high cost of components today I would start with a Magnum primer in a 7 SAUM. That is what I use in my personal 7 SAUM.

As you said, your rifle will tell you. Try both and look at your speed, ES & SD. One will clearly be superior. I shoot an improved SAUM (6.5 Sherman Max). Mine does better with reg LR primers for most loads at well above 60 grs of powder?

Beat me to the punch, try them both. I will say, I personally can't remember any of the short mags I load for preferring the Magnum primer over the Standard. To the point that I just save my Mag primers for the RUM.

But your combo may be different, there really is only one way to tell.

t