LRH Wildlife Pictures

royinidaho

For you photo guys out there.....

I was up on the hill today ready to shoot something but all I saw was unshootable. Wrong tag, no tag,out of season ...

Bull moose and bull elk @ ~1100yds.

It was a beautiful sunny day and I couldn't take a pic of anything. I tried my small digital with the LRF and spotter but had very poor luck.

I have a Cannon EOS 30D that I use with a wide angle zoom lens for aerial images. What kind/type of lense would be recommended LRPics??

I regret missing those pics today. The elk was just pretty and the moose was a trophy class. He would have made the BC books. Bingham County, that is.......

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Roy

I have never tried seriously to take pictures of wild game while out hunting. These pix are from a photo trip to Jasper National Park in Alberta Canada. I lugged 15 or 20 pounds of photo gear up the hill with me. However, I think you may want to look into "digiscoping". This involves using almost any camera to shoot through a spotting scope...which you already have with you on your hunt.
Digiscoping

standard.jpg
standard.jpg

Len, those are great pictures I have yet to get a sheep tag and they are my favorite animal to see out. They would make a great addition to my wall. The big horn is a hell of an animal . I really appreciate the pictures.

RH

Roy,

Using your scope is one way that will work in a pinch. One of our doe/hog hunters does this. He scouts for us at the same time. Here is a picture of a young 10pt with great genetics as an example. I think his camera is only 4x, but where the deer was standing is about 115yds. Notice the Javilinas in the background as well:

[image]
P1000268.jpg
[/image]

Some great pics Len. I sure would like to get one of those rams in my sights. The only ones I've shot so far look like this (without the girl)
DSCF2327.jpg

and some smaller ones
DSCF2326.jpg

I do some of my best work laying down (not me in photo)
DSCF0535.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts