LRH Wildlife Pictures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by royinidaho, Nov 26, 2006.

1. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

For you photo guys out there.....

I was up on the hill today ready to shoot something but all I saw was unshootable. Wrong tag, no tag,out of season ...

Bull moose and bull elk @ ~1100yds.

It was a beautiful sunny day and I couldn't take a pic of anything. I tried my small digital with the LRF and spotter but had very poor luck.

I have a Cannon EOS 30D that I use with a wide angle zoom lens for aerial images. What kind/type of lense would be recommended LRPics??

I regret missing those pics today. The elk was just pretty and the moose was a trophy class. He would have made the BC books. Bingham County, that is.......

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Roy

I have never tried seriously to take pictures of wild game while out hunting. These pix are from a photo trip to Jasper National Park in Alberta Canada. I lugged 15 or 20 pounds of photo gear up the hill with me. However, I think you may want to look into "digiscoping". This involves using almost any camera to shoot through a spotting scope...which you already have with you on your hunt.
    Digiscoping

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Len, those are great pictures I have yet to get a sheep tag and they are my favorite animal to see out. They would make a great addition to my wall. The big horn is a hell of an animal . I really appreciate the pictures.

RH

4. Spino

Spino Well-Known Member

Roy,

Using your scope is one way that will work in a pinch. One of our doe/hog hunters does this. He scouts for us at the same time. Here is a picture of a young 10pt with great genetics as an example. I think his camera is only 4x, but where the deer was standing is about 115yds. Notice the Javilinas in the background as well:

[image][​IMG][/image]

5. yotefever

yotefever Well-Known Member

Some great pics Len. I sure would like to get one of those rams in my sights. The only ones I've shot so far look like this (without the girl)
    [​IMG]

and some smaller ones
    [​IMG]

I do some of my best work laying down (not me in photo)
    [​IMG]