LRH weight of your rig

Okay here comes question of the day, when shooting prone do you place your butt stock close to neck or between shoulder joint ??
Secondly do you put butt stock directly on collar bone ??

When shooting prone, for me...I have an adjustable butt pad so that I can have it raised to a point that it is actually between my trap and my collar bone.
When my adjustable plate is set to "normal" or strait behind the stock...it rides dangerously low. Too much impact directly on the bone or even below it which makes it hard to manage recoil.

I'll never use a stock without an adjustable butt plate for prone shooting again. My AR's have them now, and my prone LR rifles will have them in the future.

This is my first bolt action LRH rig and as it sits. Scope, loaded mag, suppressor, bipod...it's right at 22lbs.
I carry it in my Eberlestock pack, get to my intended spots, and watch. Lots of wide open space, mostly rolling prairie but rough pine canyons are everywhere.
Just depends where I'm headed.

I wouldn't hesitate to take the occasional off hand shot if I had to, but that's not what it was built for. It's a dream to shoot prone.
I'm a young buck and packing 40lbs on a hunt isn't really a big deal.
If I were packing 70lbs through the mountains, this probably wouldn't be the right tool for the job.

Of course, I had to make two trips to get this buck out, one trip with my pack and the second for the dear.
Might have been able to do it in one trip if my rifle only weighed 6lbs, but not likely.

7mm_zps5dbb003b.jpg

131797_616037804616_186310290_o_zpsc88fea6d.jpg
Sick gun.gun) Love the stock.. What kind of bipod is that?

When shooting prone, for me...I have an adjustable butt pad so that I can have it raised to a point that it is actually between my trap and my collar bone.
When my adjustable plate is set to "normal" or strait behind the stock...it rides dangerously low. Too much impact directly on the bone or even below it which makes it hard to manage recoil.

I'll never use a stock without an adjustable butt plate for prone shooting again. My AR's have them now, and my prone LR rifles will have them in the future.

How much pressure do you put on shoulder from rifle ????

I don't really put a lot of pressure, just enough to lean into it. I could describe it as laying directly behind the gun with my shoulder just touching. Then I would raise up, and slide the whole rifle back 2" and lean back down.
Depending on the grass I'm shooting out of, The rifle will slide forward maybe an inch. That seems to be a pretty good load. Not much.
I don't "pull" it into my shoulder at all.
The weight and suppressor make this baby so fun to shoot. Not much different than my cousins 260.

As for the bipod. Its just a Harris 6-9 Swivel with leg notches, cerakoted.

I don't really put a lot of pressure, just enough to lean into it. I could describe it as laying directly behind the gun with my shoulder just touching. Then I would raise up, and slide the whole rifle back 2" and lean back down.
Depending on the grass I'm shooting out of, The rifle will slide forward maybe an inch. That seems to be a pretty good load. Not much.
I don't "pull" it into my shoulder at all.
The weight and suppressor make this baby so fun to shoot. Not much different than my cousins 260.

As for the bipod. Its just a Harris 6-9 Swivel with leg notches, cerakoted.

What is your load specs ??

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.