LRH Montana Prairie Dog and Rock Bustin Fest

Always ready to shoot dogs and sharing a shoot with other long range enthusiasts sound like a lot of fun. That time of the year the pups are kinda small though:D
The end of May is the best time for doggin. What the little buggers lack in size they make up for in numbers. Besides unless you find an area that does not see any shooting the big fat dogs that like to hang out on the hillsides in the early morning and late afternoon will be plentiful if not less spookie!

pupsbulet.jpg

Last edited:
Steve,

I think spring would be the best as far as PD shooting goes. There would be a less chance of rain in summer, but then again, we might not be able to do campfires in summer? And for that matter, if it's too dry for campfires, it will likely be too dry for rock shooting too. Fall gets into hunting season. If we moved it, I would say early July or we could try June?

It's not too late to change it, so anyone else with prefences can share their thoughts.

Thanks,

mark

Last edited:
Mark,

I only posted the ? because I don't know. We don't have pd's here in the west. We have ground squirrels aka gophers. I'm not picky about the month, just sounds like a good time.

Steve

Mark,

I only posted the ? because I don't know. We don't have pd's here in the west. We have ground squirrels aka gophers. I'm not picky about the month, just sounds like a good time.

Steve

I'm not a PD expert :rolleyes::D It's been a long time since I was out shooting them. I dont know of any dogs towns around Bozeman here... all we have is ground squirrels also, and they are a lot more prolific in the spring. When the weather gets hot and dry, you seldom see them I'm guessing the same holds true for PDs? So based on that I think our best time frame would be May-June?

Just was reading the post. This is something that I might just join in on. I am in Columbus so Roundup is just over a hour out. Will need to look at my work schedule to see if I am off that weekend. I do a lot of P-dog shooting in the area and the dates look to be a good time to shcedule. Get much later than that and the grass and hay in the fields get a bit high to see the dogs.

Latest on the dog shoot...

I do have a place on the Roundup area. We are OK to spend a couple of nights. There may be an issue with cattle in the pastures, but it sounds like there are several dog towns and we'll probably be able find a spot. If it's wet, it will be a no go.

They also said, the dogs are out in the summer as well. If May is wet, we might try to shoot for end of June or early July.

I Might also try to find a spot around Big Timber.

If you're intersted send me an email and I'll keep you posted and give you directions.

[email protected]

My status is questionable right now. Business has been real slow and I'm just trying to keep my head above water. So, I haven't had the $$$ to get my Sendero tuned up and ready to go. But I might show up with my Sako 300 WSM or S&W 1500 7mm RM just for the campout and maybe try a couple of shots.

Cheers,

Mark

Just was reading the post. This is something that I might just join in on. I am in Columbus so Roundup is just over a hour out. Will need to look at my work schedule to see if I am off that weekend. I do a lot of P-dog shooting in the area and the dates look to be a good time to shcedule. Get much later than that and the grass and hay in the fields get a bit high to see the dogs.

If you know of any good places that might be willing to have us, let me know. The more options we have, the better.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.