LR thoughts/frustrations

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Guy M, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Guy M

Guy M Well-Known Member

Dad gum it! This LR stuff really fascinates me and has for many years. Had a .308 built for precision shooting at longish ranges. I even went out and earned my NRA "high master" for long-range shooting. Have blasted some 'yotes and some rockchucks at pretty good distance, but mule deer? Nope...

2008 buck: 230 yds
    2007 buck: 20 - 30 yds
    2005 buck: 125 yds

2000 bull: 180 yds

All of those were good shots, but hardly long range.

I've seen "shooter" bucks at longer ranges but have yet to take one out there.

Two shooter bucks at 504 yards here in Washington - wrong property.
    A shooter at 440 yards here in Washington - I was on unstable terrain w/no solid shooting rest.
    A really nice Wyoming buck at 400+ yards, wrong side of the property line...

Bah Humbug! So... How important is it to you to setup and make that long range shot??? I'm just delighted to get a decent buck now and again. Am thinking about doe tags again (shot several of them for a over the years) just to get the long-range opportunity. I always seem to find does on land I can hunt, at longish ranges - but seldom a buck. They seem to hide in the folds of the land for the most part and require a closer approach. At least from my experience.

2. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

I built a 338 Lapua inorder to take an Elk at very long range. I went to New Mexico this year just for the oppertunity. To make a long story short I took a 5X5 bull at about 150 yards shooting offhand with the big 338 and a 300 grain SMK

[​IMG]

3. Guy M

Guy M Well-Known Member

Well... Nothing like being prepared!

You could have taken him with a Wal-Mart .30-06 topped with a cheap 4x scope and whatever 180 grain soft-points that were on sale!

Same as I feel when I have been afield and ready for a long-range shot and end up taking a snap shot at short range. Still, I'm not about to pass up a shot at a decent buck because he's too close!

4. JLR

JLR Well-Known Member

Well, for this year.......
    Deer at 730yds
    Elk at 560
    TMR elk at 680yds
    Katie's deer at 400yds

Maybe you should come hunt with us :)

5. Guy M

Guy M Well-Known Member

Well there ya go - rubbing it in - doggone it!

Every year I keep promising myself that I'm going to take a mule deer at longish range... Ah well... Perhaps next year.

For now - coyotes look out!

6. Wlfdg

Wlfdg Well-Known Member

I've seen almost all does, all season. I saw 2 small bucks opening day. Saw a shooter but had no shot on him. He was in full sprint , saw a flash and then antler tips.
    Saw a shooter sleeping across a canyon. Ranged him at 628 yds, within my comfort zone. I had no spotter.
    This morning I saw a shooter, had a spotter, the buck was in Wyoming and I was in Idaho! I didn't even bother ranging him.

Did see a lot wolf tracks.

7. sscoyote

sscoyote Well-Known Member

I have the same problem sometimes. Know how i beat it? Just got my 3-9x PFI Rapid Reticle on my new Ruger Charger 22 rimfire--watch out 150+ yd. jackrabbits and crows (200 yds. is about like a 308 @ 800).

8. bigg_sexy1

bigg_sexy1 Well-Known Member

I am fairly new to "Long Range Hunting" and I may get booed or flamed for this but in my opinion being able to take long range shots is great, and sometimes necessary depending on where you hunt. But I do believe that whenever you have a chance to shave a few or few hundred yds off to ensure an ethical one shot kill it is totaly worth it.

I guess that I too would just be happy getting decent bucks year after year, figure your luck is about like mine, spend a bunch of time and money to be able to do the long range thing, and not shoot anything over 300 yds.

9. Guy M

Guy M Well-Known Member

Yeah - actually I think it's pretty funny. I've literally worn out several rifle barrels practicing long range marksmanship - and the farthest poke I've taken at a deer in recent years is 230 yards. Sheesh... Smilin' here.

10. bigg_sexy1

bigg_sexy1 Well-Known Member

Thats all you can do! :D