LR Hunting Rifle Scabbard--Part 1

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by mtnwrunner, Mar 5, 2013.

1. mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner Well-Known Member

I'll have to do this is several threads as I have quite a few photos. I've had this idea for awhile and finally had time to make it. This is a rifle scabbard designed for the larger scopes and barrels. The project rifle is a remington sendero with a nightforce 50mm objective and this scabbard can be made to accomodate any length barrel. I've put a piece of aircraft aluminum grade 6016 T6 sandwiched between 1/8 inch neoprene and the lining leather. This results in a scabbard that has protection for the larger scopes and the neoprene takes up a little shock and it is waterproof of course. The biggest water problem on a scabbard is sweat from the horse and the neoprene keeps the sweat getting to your rifle. This baby is pretty bombproof.

Randy

Attached Files:

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Sweet!!!

3. rooster721

rooster721 Well-Known Member

Looks sharp*

Makes me wish I'd put an extra-layer inside mine actually.. either way, will be an interesting season comin' up ~ myself am anxious to see how my-own works-out as well as "hear" how a few of these others do

...maybe late-fall a guy will have-to do a thread w/pics showing a few of these things cinched-down & in action :rolleyes:

Nice job

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Randy,

Me thinks I otta finagle an invite over that way. That scabbard is very similar to one I put together in 1966. It served me well for years until someone stole it.

Your things reveal much better craftsmanship. It's much better to be both darn good lookin' and functional. My stuff is limited to functional. :rolleyes:

5. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Looking good! Its good to see someone factor horse sweat into the equation.

6. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

nice!

7. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

Nice work Randy!

8. mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner Well-Known Member

You are welcome anytime.

Randy

9. Idaho Sawyer

Idaho Sawyer Well-Known Member

OH BILLY BILLY BILLY!!!! He is gonna like his new home!

10. ShooterMedic

ShooterMedic Well-Known Member

Randy, you are a man of many talents.

Your sure have an eye for detail. I have no doubts that will stand up to an Idaho late season Elk hunt.