LR hunting bullet for 260AI ?

For what it's worth, My 6.5/284 stablizes the 140 A-MAX with a 1 in 9 twist, velocity is 3,000 ft/sec's from the 28" Hart bbl.

Well I finished my fireforming last weekend. I grew about 200 gourds in the garden 2" to 4" diameter. They make very explosive targets with the right bullet. I spent about 100 rounds in the 260AI and 243 etronx vaporizing them out to 400 yards last Sunday.

Yesterday I started working up full house loads with the improved brass, basically just velocity and pressure testing.

H4350 with 140amax produced a safe load at 2903fps.
H4831 with 140amax kicked it up a bit to 2941fps.

This was with a 3 groove 8 twist 26" Pac-nor tube.

I did manage to hit 3012fps with H4831 but this charge showed extractor button flow, so I back off 1 grain of powder.

Now I need to do a ladder with the h4831 load. I'm very short on time but hope to settle on a load, and work up my drops for this deer season. If not I'll have to pull out the trusty 300. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I settled on a load of H4831 that gives me 2905fps ave.
I was shooting different yardages today and discovered the turret adjustments on my weaver tactical are not all that reliable. I'm going to have to send in my 4x14 lr leupold for turrets and a new recticle, as the one I have is a heavy duplex.

Anyway I managed to impress myself with this load and the 140 a-max. I started out running 300 yard groups around 1 1/4". Well after about 15 rounds and alot of cussing at these turrets, I shot 3 into .293 c to c at 300 with a fourth about 3/4" out. I didn't have the spotter set up so I don't really know the sequence of shots. But even at a sliver over an inch I'm happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I got to get my drops set on mils tomorrow morning and then it's off to hunting this weekend to see if I can get a deer over 500.

LR212hole1.jpg
I shoot a 6.5x284 with 140Amax's and it's worked great on deer to over 750 yards. We have taken 7 with this bullet between 520 and 770 yards and have had no problems. This deer was laying down at 680yds when we put the bullet through it.

Cowboy,

WE have used the A-max in my daughters 6.5x55 since they came out. The rifle however is one of the 96 mausers so I have kept the loads and velocities down to a moderate range. The max we have gone up to is 2650 with the 140gr bullets. I can say this however, out to 400 yds it will still do a complete A-hole to appetite penetration on a 150# feral hog.

The kid has taken several deer out to 150 yds and as close as 25 using them and we have not had problems with explosive results. Exit holes on the close in shot was about 1 1/2" on the off side coming through the shoulder blade.

For your velocities and ranges they should work just fine. However on the close in shots around 100 to 150 you might see some higher expansions.

Hope this helps.

Well no luck on my long range deer hunt. We had an early doe season and I tried to get in a position for a long shot. I did have two prospects show up. One at 614 and one at 511. Problem was they were both small bucks.

My brother insisted I hunt in the woods on fri. eve and I did shoot 2 does with the 280rem. Distances were less than 150 yards.

Somehow my wife got pregnant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif and is due dec.7. She says I need to start staying close to home.(last one was 4 weeks early) So I have to hunt in the back yard for general deer season. 80 acres of open field with woods on 2 sides, might get the shot im looking for.

[ QUOTE ]
Somehow my wife got pregnant and is due dec.7.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to give you a free pass on that one.

But that is the funniest thing I have seen on this forum in along time.

I went out Sat. with the 260ai, and found 2 crows roosted. I set up with the harris bipod , ranged at 425 held one mil high from zero, and blew the insides out of that flying rat.

His friend didn't like being disturbed from his siesta, and started quite a ruckus. Soon multiple boogies were circuling their fallen comrade. One decieded to land in the hot zone, and suffered from a-max induced rupture.

Well the others being a little slow on the uptake just got madder and soon I had multiple targets landing in the tree. With one more report and a falling victim, the remaining boggies scrambled to parts unknown.

Damm, I still had a box full of shells!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.