Low Recoil Rounds Sutiable for Elk

TBP, "REQUIREMENT" what ever you get, make sure to put a LimbSaver buttpad on it. My .243 Rem 700 had the Rem version so I did not have to get one.
Good luck

Elk caliber rifle (my braked .300 Win Mags and .338 Win Mag felt recoil are similar to that off .243 and .308 respectively)

+

effective muzzle brake (muscle, PK, DE, Holland's, etc ...)

+

recoil pad (limbsaver)

+

pas_3000-10.jpg

(Optional for extra measures)

Happy safe hunting/shooting and enjoy your time with your Dad. Good luck!

Ed

In Sweden and Norway they shoot moose with the 6.5x55, same as 260 rem. It is the most used cartridge. A light bolt action 260 or 7-08 with a good bullet will work just fine on elk to 300 yards and is a dream to carry in the mountains.

I want to thank everyone for your replies and input, and after a lot of debate I'm leaning towards a rifle chambering 7mm-08. I'm also considering putting a muzzle brake on this rifle but that may be overkill.

Again, Thank you all!

Tom

Here's another vote for the 7-08 Remington. The wife killed everything with one topped with a 140 grain accubond. I used a .300 Win Mag for decades. I had a round birthday last year and "management" gave me a Weatherby MK V Backcountry in 6.5 RPM. Less weight and recoil than my coyote rifle, an M70 in .243 Win. Killed a cow with a 140 grain Game King running 3035 fps last September, quartering away at the trot. Double lung, dropped in her tracks.

This past fall's cow dropped with the new'ish Weatherby 6.5 RPM. A joy to shoot and carry with serious long range capability.

Attachments

• 20210905_061024.jpg
    20210905_061024.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 93
I'm with Dr. Vette on this one.
Pick a propper cartrige for elk, in the standard variety vs magnum variety. (such as a 270 or 30-06) then put an efficient brake on it.

In my younger & not so smart years, I rodeoed for college, & did about a year and a half of Northwest Pro circuit. I ended up turning my collar bone backwards, & tore up my shoulder pretty good. To this day I can't pack a heavy rifle for much more than a day without tweaking my shoulder, neck, & back. I'd seriously look in a different direction than the AR. While your concept is sound, those AR's are heavy. (plus you probably won't like the attention your bound to attract packing an AR in the Elk woods) Not that there's anything wrong with it, but Belive me, its not gonna win you any points with your typical elk huntin crowd if they see someone in your party packing a "machine gun" Especially if your not local.
Some jack wagon goes off & pops a ranchers cow, & your gonna be the first folks looked on with suspicion, eventhough its completely un-deserved. Just what I've seen, id leave the "black gun" at home.
I shoot featherweight 270WSM with full bore 140Accubond loads & do fine with it on deer, & bear, & my cousin has dumped a few elk with his. I take mine elk hunting too, but haven't bloodied it up on elk yet. However I have taken a pile of elk with my ol -06. O have a couple other cousins that do quite well with thier 270win's on elk too.
The 270win, 270WSM, 308, 30-06, & 300WSM don't hit the shooter too hard, as far as felt recoil goes, but they still deliver plenty of energy for elk well past your said 300yds.
If recoil is an issue, have a good quality brake installed, & recoil will be unbelivabley light. Muscle Brake, Pain Killer Brake, DE Brake etc. are all extremely effective at reducing recoil.
At least you won't be skimping on the propper cartrige selection if you go this route.
Excellent answer

Shoulder surgery is no joke. You are right to take care. 7-08 , or 260, 6.5 Swede seems like a good choice in your parameters. As you know, calibers don't kill, shot placement does. So it's not just what cal will kill an Elk, but what can Dad shoot A LOT? Enough to get confident, from field positions and make hits at will.
As other have said, a good muzzle break can really help tame recoil, but one thing I'd add is that it's not just loud for the shooter, often it is worse for those to the sides. As someone said above, short range engagements can often be quick engagements. Makeing sure EVERYONE has plugs in place just adds another thing to setting up a shot.
If you need a brake for fragile shoulders then that's the way it is, and thank God for brakes so you can keep shooting. Ear pro just becomes part of the game. But if you can get by with out one. I'd say get by. Threaded barrels are on everything the days. You can try with and without.

I'm having a replacement done on my right shoulder on the 10th of Feb so I'm interested in hearing how it's going for anyone else who's had this done?

Side note, with care and reasonable range I'm more than comfy with our 22/250 on elk, and consider our 25/06 to be wonderful as well. These rounds don't have much for recoil and yet take out elk very well. Same with our .270:)

I have a .340Wby and if you stick with bullets under 225 gr it is not too bad. Your father can wear a shoulder recoil pad under his parka and he should be o.k.
It would be a good idea to check with the Dr first.
Also work up with smaller caliber rifles. good Luck

I'm with Dr. Vette on this one.
Pick a propper cartrige for elk, in the standard variety vs magnum variety. (such as a 270 or 30-06) then put an efficient brake on it.

In my younger & not so smart years, I rodeoed for college, & did about a year and a half of Northwest Pro circuit. I ended up turning my collar bone backwards, & tore up my shoulder pretty good. To this day I can't pack a heavy rifle for much more than a day without tweaking my shoulder, neck, & back. I'd seriously look in a different direction than the AR. While your concept is sound, those AR's are heavy. (plus you probably won't like the attention your bound to attract packing an AR in the Elk woods) Not that there's anything wrong with it, but Belive me, its not gonna win you any points with your typical elk huntin crowd if they see someone in your party packing a "machine gun" Especially if your not local.
Some jack wagon goes off & pops a ranchers cow, & your gonna be the first folks looked on with suspicion, eventhough its completely un-deserved. Just what I've seen, id leave the "black gun" at home.
I shoot featherweight 270WSM with full bore 140Accubond loads & do fine with it on deer, & bear, & my cousin has dumped a few elk with his. I take mine elk hunting too, but haven't bloodied it up on elk yet. However I have taken a pile of elk with my ol -06. O have a couple other cousins that do quite well with thier 270win's on elk too.
The 270win, 270WSM, 308, 30-06, & 300WSM don't hit the shooter too hard, as far as felt recoil goes, but they still deliver plenty of energy for elk well past your said 300yds.
If recoil is an issue, have a good quality brake installed, & recoil will be unbelivabley light. Muscle Brake, Pain Killer Brake, DE Brake etc. are all extremely effective at reducing recoil.
At least you won't be skimping on the propper cartrige selection if you go this route.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I would not recommend anything for elk below a 270 or 7mm/08 and use top quality hunting bullets like SGK or NAB if buying factory ammo. Yes plenty of elk are killed with calibers down to 243 but if my choices are putting a break on a 308 win 30/06 300wsm or 7mm RM and hunting with a 243 without doubt I'd opt for the rifle with a MB.
Personally I feel a 7mm RM with a MB would be an excellent mild recoiling elk rifle as my friend hunts with a SST/SYN 700 in 7mm RM with a break and I can not get over how mild it recoils.

I'd throw a vote for the 6.5/284 Norma. My dad killed his elk at the age of 68 at 380 yards and I loaned it to a friend for his 13 yr old daughter to use on a deer hunt. I'm a big caliber guy but this rifle is hard to get away from. It just shoots!