Low Priced Long Range Scopes by Ian McMurchy

The SS scopes will focus in to 25yds no problem (I have an early SS10x42 - 1998 vintage, and a later SS16X42). Field of view on any fixed 10x or 16x scope is gonna stink at that range, but they will focus fine.

The SS scopes will focus in to 25yds no problem (I have an early SS10x42 - 1998 vintage, and a later SS16X42). Field of view on any fixed 10x or 16x scope is gonna stink at that range, but they will focus fine.

Do not anticipate shooting much , at that close of range . But just in case ........................

All these scope questions are centered on a new Marlin .45-70 .

I just ordered a peep sight from Midway , in hopes that that may work & I may not have to scope the rifle . Hope not .

Trying to cope with aging eyes . :-(

If the peep sight does not do it for me , I will probably go back to shopping for a scope .

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

Ah... maybe it's just me, but I don't think I'd put a fixed 10x on a lever action .45-70. Other than maybe for load development at the range.

It's kind of a waste of the scope IMHO, and limits the usefulness of the gun.

If it were me, I'd look at something like a Weaver V3 (1" 1-3x20mm) for a scope to give you quick-n-dirty close-in capability, along w/ a touch of magnification for a little longer shots (say, 200-300yds w/ that kind of gun).

As always, this advice is worth exactly what ya paid for it ;)

Monte

Don't have a SS or Elite 3200 sniper scope, but I have had several other Elite 3200s and 4200s. The 4200s have been consistently sharper and brighter than the 3200s and track great. I have just started working with a new rifle with a 6x - 24x Elite 4200 Tactical scope. So far I'm impressed with all aspects of the scope but the range of adjustment.

I read , in several places , Bushnell bought Baush & Loamb (sp) .

Had not heard they bought Tasco ??????????

I have a Baush & Lomb 6X - 24X Elite 4000 and it is nearly identical to the Bushnell Elite 4200 except for the tick marks on the turrets and the "rainguard" coating. Whether Bushnell bought Tasco or not, I don't know, but the Elite series scopes are still built like the Baush and Loambs and have short but consistent eye relief (with the exception of the 4 - 16 x 50mm which has more generous eye relief) and solid costruction. I have a hard time spending the money on anything else...although I don't pretend to suggest that they are the best scopes there are. They're a great scope for the guy on a budget that still wants to take advantage of all legal shooting hours.

Ah... maybe it's just me, but I don't think I'd put a fixed 10x on a lever action .45-70. Other than maybe for load development at the range.

It's kind of a waste of the scope IMHO, and limits the usefulness of the gun.

If it were me, I'd look at something like a Weaver V3 (1" 1-3x20mm) for a scope to give you quick-n-dirty close-in capability, along w/ a touch of magnification for a little longer shots (say, 200-300yds w/ that kind of gun).

As always, this advice is worth exactly what ya paid for it ;)

Monte

I am a paper puncher , not a hunter . But you never know what will wander into my line of fire .

Or if you might have to use it for home / self defense . :-(

I like higher magnification scopes , probably more so than a hunter .

Also looking at
SIGHTRON 3-12x42mm SII FULL-COAT MATTE PLEX

From Graf & Sons for $ 199.00

Any one have any info on this scope ?

Thanks ,
God bless
Wyr

Last edited:
Burris Fullfield 2, 4.5-14x42 A/0 for .17HMR

I would like to hear from anyone using this scope (rimfire or center fire) and opinions on it. It can be had for about $350 online and I am looking at the ballistic plex or mildot reticle. I will need to send it to Burris as the scope does not come with these reticles in the silver finish and want to make the correct choice. Ranges will probably be 250-300 yards & under.
I plan on shooting paper, varmits and general plinking. Maybe the occasional coyote or feral cat on my land. Opinions on the Burris Zee signature rings also much appreciated. The scope will be going on a Volquartsen 17HMR.

Thanks.

I have one mounted on my 243 Sako Forrester. The glass is clear from edge to edge. I also like the finger adjustable knob. I'm not sure if this particular model is made here in the US, like my older Signature Series. I didn't find any made in the USA markings anywhere.

IMGP2358.jpg

Nice looking .243 Fox, very nicely proportioned combination. What is your max range with it and do you think there is a better scope out there for the money? I will need to send the scope back to Burrris to have a ballistic plex or mildot reticle put in as the silver finish comes with only the plex reticle (even the tech guy at Burris could not understand why limited reticle choice with the silver finish). The mildot is what I am leaning towards.

Appreciate the feedback.

Eric

Another good scope come to mind for the money is the Bushnell 3200 with rainguard. A buddy has one mounted on his Savage 300 WSM.

I just ordered a peep sight from Midway , in hopes that that may work & I may not have to scope the rifle . Hope not .

Trying to cope with aging eyes .

WT. I just finished a .280 Rem that I built for iron sights. Used an old Lyman 48 long slide rear and a Lyman 93 front globe fitted to a Rem ramp.

My right eye, (master of course) had cataracts so bad that I couldn't even bore sight with it anymore. Had cataract surgery 2 mos. ago and am almost back to 20/20. I shot match rifle and service rifle so long that I got very comfortable and confident with iron and I really like the clean look and feel of a rifle with iron sights.

With practice, an aperture rear and post front are very fast and can approach m.o.a. accuracy. Aperture rear and front on a black bull can comfortably beat 1 m.o.a. if the rifle is up to it. I used to love 600 yd belly shooting with both setups and could stay in the 190's with either. I don't expect to do that now, but do expect 1 - 2 moa on targets. We'll see.

On edit: I forgot to ask Plinker if the .17 HMR is still good at 250-300 yds. I like them, but don't know much about them.

Ian, I apologize for getting off the topic, but us geezers got to stick together. I hope the iron works out for WT, and for me too.

Tom

Last edited:
Cheap long range scope

So what makes a "long range" scope suitable for long range?

Here's my opinion:
1. Long range hunting rifles typically have high recoil so a long range scope needs good eye relief.

2. long range rifles shoot high BC bullets which are typicically heavy
and therefore shot at modest velocity. Since drop is always proportional to
the square of the time of flight, long range rifles need a lot of vertical adjustment.
The 223 caliber loudenboomeer which shoots flat to 600 yards is not what I consider a long range rifle.

3. Atmospherirc scintillation increases approximately linearly with distance.
If on a poor day you can resolve about 1/10 moa at 100 yards it will be more like 1 moa at 1000. Long range does not call for high magnificaion OR large aperture. Neither helps once the atmophere becomes the limiting factor.

4. When atmosphere is not the limiting factor higher magnifificton may help
in target identification, such as tell if a particular deer is male or female. It won't help much in shooting it.

5. Large field of view is most important for short range shooting at moving targets, but having too much magnifaction will make finding the target in the scope difficult. Increasing eye relief always redues field of few. That's simple optics.

My personal favorite long range scope is the Leupold Mk4 M1 16x40. It has a huge 140 moa of vertical adjusment and it's enough magnificaition that it doesn't have any negative affect on accuracy at any distance. I have that on my 7mm STW (30" Hart Rem 700 and 300 Ultra 30" Hart/Rem700. Both shoot great at a mile with 180 and 210 Berger VLD's respectively. The M1 will zero both from 50 to 2000 yards.

I have one SuperSniper 16x. Its sort of a poor mans MK1. There are few cases where it would not make any shot that the Leupold Mk 1 could for about 1/3 the price. If it has a downside the retical is heavier than the leupold's mil dot. It gives me the impression that it's made by the same manufacture who made the 10x40 Baush & Lomb Mil-dot 4000 scope in the 1980's. That was an expensive scope and as good as any that existed before Leopold got active in the military market. I have a couple of B&L too. The advantage of a 10x40 over a 16x40 is target acquistion time since they have over twice the area of field of view and a noticably brighter image, and they don't give up much practical accuracy if you have good eyesight.

For those really hard pressed for cash I'd recommend the Bushnell 10x40 mil dot 3200. Its a ligher and more compact scope than B&L 4000 or the 16x40's but I think it's made by the same company that made the B&L and the Super Snipers. At least the machining and design look very similar. The Japanese are better both optically and mechanically than other Asian counties and even some US companies in my opinion.. The best things about the Bushnell 3200 10x40 is it only costs $175 on ebay and it has about 90 moa of vertical adjustment. That's huge for a 1" tube. It's downside is that it has about 1/2" less eye relief than the somewhat larger Super Sniper and Leupold. It also doesn't have a parallax adjustment. That's not necessarily bad for hunting.

Last edited:
Lou,
Interesting how good equipment earns its reputation. I also have an old B&L 10x40 tactical scope and it is an excellent performer. Same goes for the real-deal Mark 4 16x fixed power scopes. Nowadays the NXS and US Optics scopes have earned my respect also since they work so reliably.
You are correct about the little Bushnell 3200, that little 10x tactical is a reliable, tough scope that is a great entry-level product.
Thanks for the nice review and opinions on long range scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.