Low Number Springfields?

kc

I have an old 03 Springhfield low number under 1000, I have been taught that all Springfields built under 800,000 are not safe, My brother checked the metal with a Rockwell tool and it was found to be a tough number on the scale, it shows as not brittle, have you or any one here found a Springfield to explode while shooting? Most of these rifles were used in the first and second world wars?

Rockwell

The test was done back in 1970 by my Brother and Henery, an old guy from Germany. I am quoting what he said and this guy was a builder of machines costing Millions. My Brother was there too He said if the metal is to hard it will shatter like glass. Its a tough action so I have used it for deer hunting, it has LYMAN 48C sights on her.The guy was a metalergest.
If any spelling is wrong forgive me, I lost part of my memory.

As I understand it (and if my facts are not quite right someone please correct me) what happened was that during one or two production cycles there were a number of 03 ations that did not get hardened, most were recovered and either destroyed, some were used for Hoffer Thompson 22 cal trainers, and some had the barrels pluged and used for drill teams. Unfortunatly some made it into the field and there were some tragic blowups. So to be better safe than sorry there was a blanket warning for the entire range of serial numbers the MAY have been effected.
Dave

As another note IF that gun's SN is a three digit (under 1000) it was made in 1903 and if in original condition is sure to be VERY valuable, I would have it appraised by a REPUTABLE appraiser, one that would NOT be a prospective purchaser. I certainly would not be shooting it and taking a chance on doing any more wear and tear on the rifle and diminishing its possible value.
Dave

Thats why its retired like me...My wife talked me into a safe she saw in one of my magazines. A NRA mag about 30 years ago, she was smart enough to double the size.
Bless her heart.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts