Low charge accuracy...

BENNYBOOBOO

Have been working a load that shoots extremely accurately (.35 moa @200 yds) out of a stock savage 10fp .308

Interestingly enough is that the suggested charge range for H4895 under a 168 hornady hpbt is 41.0-44.0grs, but my accurate load is at 40.1 grs- almost a full grain short of suggested minimum.

Any similar encounters? Don't own a chronograph, but I only lose 1.25" off a 100-yard-zero.

Has this happened to anyone else?

EH

Different gun, different primers, different batch of powder, different climatic conditions, different brass capacity.

I could guess that were shooting outdoors in the heat, and the manual load was fired indoors. Did you keep your ammo cool?

I've had the same issue with my 10flp. I'm loading Nosler custom brass with Varget to push a 168 SMK and the best accuracy has come from just 41.1 grains (five shots in .675" @ 250 yards).

Sorry I can't help but I'll be waiting for some answers with you!

My thought is, I'll take .35 groups at 200 if it is a BB gun, that's awesome accuracy. DON'T change a thing!

Don't get me wrong- I am not at all complaining. This is the most consistantly accurate load I've found in the last few years.
The ammo was kept cool and the barrel was allowed to cool between shots. Total this group took almost a half hour to finish. Also the rounds were fed single-shot, versus cycled from the magazine and into the action.
The weather was horendous, it must have been 80 degrees and muggy as I've ever seen it. Probably nothing special for some of the swamp-shooters here, but for the Pacific Northwest it sucked. Now that I think about it, did most of the load work over the last month when the weather has gradually increased from the 50/60's to the 80's and still accuracy holds.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.