Low Altitude Elk Hunt Help

3006savage

I am hoping to hunt elk more or less DIY and need to be around 5,000 feet elevation. I have breathing problems and a higher elevation hunt is not really an option for me.

I have a 12x16 wall tent and could potentially use an outfitter to pack us in and out.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
PS it will be during rifle season.

Last edited:
Not going to try to figure out the chance. Get on the WY G&F website. They say you can find odds other stuff on it.
Good elk in the Black Hills area. Never hunted over there. Anywhere East of the Big Horns should be under your 5000ft mark.
Contact the outfitters in that area for possible info, and maybe better odds.

I am hoping to hunt elk more or less DIY and need to be around 5,000 feet elevation. I have breathing problems and a higher elevation hunt is not really an option for me.

I have a 12x16 wall tent and could potentially use an outfitter to pack us in and out.

If your not after a bull there are late season cow hunts and most of them are on winter range less than 5000'.

KY has non resident draw as well. I would just get on line and throw your name into as many as you can in all the states that have NR draw.

Not going to try to figure out the chance. Get on the WY G&F website. They say you can find odds other stuff on it.
Good elk in the Black Hills area. Never hunted over there. Anywhere East of the Big Horns should be under your 5000ft mark.
Contact the outfitters in that area for possible info, and maybe better odds.

I'm pretty sure the Elk in South Dakota are only available to residents of that state.

I appreciate all the helpful feedback. I should have mentioned that I am ok going for cows since I am a novice and want up my odds.

Getting any of the game commission folks on the phone is difficult.

Personally I've had great luck with Fish & Game Biologists sharing their knowledge.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts