Louisiana Whitetail

Thanks guys.

I spoke to the landowner the other day, and he said that the DMAP report listed the buck as a 5 1/2 year old (you have to collect the jaw bone for all of the deer taken and send them in with a harvest log). The program is pretty good. The state biologist came by this spring to shoot some does. They necropsy them and are able to tell you the exact time of the primary and secondary ruts from the fetus size. As an reward for participating, you are allowed two additional weeks of gun season starting February 1st. Not a bad deal.

Dan

Here is a buck I shot Jan 7 in 06 at buckhorn WMA near ST Joe, LA (bout 40 miles north) during the buck only hunt . It green scored 162 4/8 and weighed 258lb . You gotta love those soy bean fed Bucks!

Attachments

• Buck horn.jpg
    Buck horn.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Buck horn 11 point.jpg
    Buck horn 11 point.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 121
Here is a buck I shot Jan 7 in 06 at buckhorn WMA near ST Joe, LA (bout 40 miles north) during the buck only hunt . It green scored 162 4/8 and weighed 258lb . You gotta love those soy bean fed Bucks!

That is good buck. Tensas parish does produce some studs. Kind of dispels the notion that southern bucks are small.

Dan

I no longer hunt there since I moved to the other side of the state and the state gave in to the demands of hunters wanting more atv access and more doe day's . I can not complain much though, 7 bucks in 3 years 2 of which were over 150" . I still hunt in the state some but most of my efforts go to the Rockies in pursuit of Elk.

I used to work at a place that had land on the Ms river in Concordia Parish and some land in fowles near Sicily Island. 150" 200+ lb deer were the norm not the exception. Biggest ones I've seen we're 187" and 290 lbs, seen some 185 lb does also. Those deer have an additional 20lbs of smart that northern deer don't have.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.