Louisiana Whitetail

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by DZelenka, Jan 8, 2013.

1. DZelenka

DZelenka Well-Known Member

I shot this buck just outside of Monterey, LA on Saturday. 316 yards using a 6.5x55 with a 140 Nosler Ballistic Tip over 48.0 gr RL22. MV is a bit over 2800 fps. The deer weighed 225 lbs and grossed 136 2/8. Rifle is a Ruger 77 action with a Schneider barrel, Brown Precision stock and Timmney trigger. My friends call it the "Frankenrifle." The scope is a Leupold VX III with a custom ballistic reticle. He ran 50 yards with a double lung shot. The exit hole was the size of a quarter.

Attached Files:

2. rwk

rwk Well-Known Member

Nice, i'll take that all day long.

3. LongRangeBangin

LongRangeBangin Well-Known Member

Good one! Congrats

4. matt meyer

matt meyer Active Member

Nice Buck. Congrats and enjoy the meat

5. Nomosendero

Nomosendero Well-Known Member

Nice, love that mass!

6. jkupper

jkupper Well-Known Member

That's a fine buck!

I did not know that the deer down there got that heavy. 225 pounds is on the light side for a buck up here where I live, but I did not think that southern deer grew that large.

Great job! Congrats!

7. DZelenka

The three bucks that were taken off of that place last year all went over 210 lbs. These aren't swamp deer, that particular place is a 3600 acre soybean farm that is about 1/3 CRP. They get plenty of protein.

8. rick523

rick523 Well-Known Member

And now you have some protein of your own..:D Nice buck, congrats!

9. jkupper

jkupper Well-Known Member

Good to know, because I may get the chance to hunt down there someday.

I wondered because when I hunted in Texas there was not a deer taken that went over 200 pounds.

Thanks for the info, and congrats again.

10. MHO

MHO Well-Known Member

Great buck congrats.

11. Dick Tinsley

Dick Tinsley Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you are talking about! Deer over here in NW Louisana have lots of mass an size thanks to soybean fields!!! 200plus pounds also!! Great Buck!!!! Really,Really Nice!!! Congrats!!!

DT

12. DZelenka

This was in Concordia Parish about 5 miles west of the Mississippi River. I killed a 2 1/2 year old 8 point last year in East Carroll Parish on the Mississippi River that weighed 215 lbs and measured 124" gross. But for the fact that he was my first buck with a bow, I probably would have passed. I was surprised he was only 2 1/2 from his size though.

20 days til Louisiana bow season opens. :)

Dan

13. Dick Tinsley

Dick Tinsley Well-Known Member

Dan! I know exactly where you are hunting. I had a friend that lived in Oak Grove! I've hunted in northeast louisana. I'm on the other side of the state from ya (around shreveport) however I think you will agree that those river bottom deer get pretty big! I think you know what I'm talking about!!! Good hunting to ya!!

DT

14. MOOSE39465

MOOSE39465 Well-Known Member

Nice Buck. Louisiana is starting to have more and bigger bucks each year. I live in Mississippi, but spend half my life in south Louisiana working offshore. Good Luck on this up coming season.