Louisiana Whitetail

DZelenka

I shot this buck just outside of Monterey, LA on Saturday. 316 yards using a 6.5x55 with a 140 Nosler Ballistic Tip over 48.0 gr RL22. MV is a bit over 2800 fps. The deer weighed 225 lbs and grossed 136 2/8. Rifle is a Ruger 77 action with a Schneider barrel, Brown Precision stock and Timmney trigger. My friends call it the "Frankenrifle." The scope is a Leupold VX III with a custom ballistic reticle. He ran 50 yards with a double lung shot. The exit hole was the size of a quarter.

Attachments

• IMG_1579.jpg
    IMG_1579.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 133
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 121
That's a fine buck!

I did not know that the deer down there got that heavy. 225 pounds is on the light side for a buck up here where I live, but I did not think that southern deer grew that large.

Great job! Congrats!

That's a fine buck!

I did not know that the deer down there got that heavy. 225 pounds is on the light side for a buck up here where I live, but I did not think that southern deer grew that large.

Great job! Congrats!

The three bucks that were taken off of that place last year all went over 210 lbs. These aren't swamp deer, that particular place is a 3600 acre soybean farm that is about 1/3 CRP. They get plenty of protein.

The three bucks that were taken off of that place last year all went over 210 lbs. These aren't swamp deer, that particular place is a 3600 acre soybean farm that is about 1/3 CRP. They get plenty of protein.

Good to know, because I may get the chance to hunt down there someday.

I wondered because when I hunted in Texas there was not a deer taken that went over 200 pounds.

Thanks for the info, and congrats again.

I know exactly what you are talking about! Deer over here in NW Louisana have lots of mass an size thanks to soybean fields!!! 200plus pounds also!! Great Buck!!!! Really,Really Nice!!! Congrats!!!

DT

I know exactly what you are talking about! Deer over here in NW Louisana have lots of mass an size thanks to soybean fields!!! 200plus pounds also!! Great Buck!!!! Really,Really Nice!!! Congrats!!!

DT

This was in Concordia Parish about 5 miles west of the Mississippi River. I killed a 2 1/2 year old 8 point last year in East Carroll Parish on the Mississippi River that weighed 215 lbs and measured 124" gross. But for the fact that he was my first buck with a bow, I probably would have passed. I was surprised he was only 2 1/2 from his size though.

20 days til Louisiana bow season opens. :)

Dan

This was in Concordia Parish about 5 miles west of the Mississippi River. I killed a 2 1/2 year old 8 point last year in East Carroll Parish on the Mississippi River that weighed 215 lbs and measured 124" gross. But for the fact that he was my first buck with a bow, I probably would have passed. I was surprised he was only 2 1/2 from his size though.

20 days til Louisiana bow season opens. :)

Dan

Dan! I know exactly where you are hunting. I had a friend that lived in Oak Grove! I've hunted in northeast louisana. I'm on the other side of the state from ya (around shreveport) however I think you will agree that those river bottom deer get pretty big! I think you know what I'm talking about!!! Good hunting to ya!!

DT

Nice Buck. Louisiana is starting to have more and bigger bucks each year. I live in Mississippi, but spend half my life in south Louisiana working offshore. Good Luck on this up coming season.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts