Lost River Ballistics?

There are a few guys that use them and swear by them, probably just as many wonder how their bullets can shoot so poorly. And the cost of their bullets are way up there.

It takes a "special" bore for these things, I think a tight bore works, not sure.

Do a search on triggerfifty he's from that neck of the woods and listed barrels that they would shoot in.

They shot very well in my 270 Win Lilja bbl and were hell on yotes as they only made a 25 cent piece exit.

The 2 bucks a shot kind of limits their use to bigger stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
wich ones are you looking at , I have a few extra laying around if you wanted to try them

[/ QUOTE ]

I was looking at the J36 .308 180grn.

RU1234 , hey bud your bullets are on the way , their was a problem at the place I use to ship them and they never got shipped. I went and checked on another package that was shipped the same time as your and it wasen't shipped either so i threw a fit and got them sent out.
Their on the way , good luck with them

Hello guys,

I am not trying to cause a stir about these bullets, but I have gotten them to shoot extremely accurately in each and every barrel I have tried. No special bore sizes. As a matter of fact I tested them on some extreme differences in bore sizes with good results. I also tried them in new barrels as well as barrels that were on their last legs. In short, they are the most accurate bullet I have ever shot.

I set a target up at 400 yards and shot two shots into ito the first day and both holes were touching. The next successive four days, I went and shot one and only one shot into the target. At the end of four days, the group was a little under 3/8".

However, I would be suprised if you could get one to expand on a concrete block.

James

Seat them into the lands and do a ladder test using one grain increments. Once you get a sticky bolt lift, back off one grain. Then, using that same powder charge, incrementally seat groups of two of them .010" into the case away from the lands. You should be able to find the node/sweet spot prior to reaching .060". Once you find that spot, load two .5 grains more and two .5 grains less. The results should be interesting for you.

As I said before, this procedure worked each and every time in over four different barrels and they were the most accurate bullet ever used in each of those barrels. Good luck and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Don't expect much in the way of expansion. I shot four deer with them last year and only the buzzards and coyotes found the deer intially. Four pass-throughs without any expansion. The only expansion, I got was with some of their poly tipped ones that gave a coyote a very bad headache. I just lost faith in them to reliably expand on game and shelved them. I see them every day and am amazed that I have over $500 worth of something that is useless as these bullet are for hunting. Shooting in long range matches is a different matter altogether. Just consider yourself warned that the odds are stacked against you to get reliable expansion on deer/elk/gernsey/charlais/black angus.....etc.

James

James

Plenty of elk hunters use them around here (close to Arco) and have good performance at long ranges (over 500yds) when they hit them. Expansion and penetration, usually an exit, have been reported to be good.

And as I said the 135 J36s 270s on yotes have performed very well both in ability to hit the target and to provide good expansion from 50 to 400 yds.

Its the price that holds me back as I use the same bullet for everything. Also they make nothing heavier than 135s in 270 cal.

[ QUOTE ]
Plenty of elk hunters use them around here (close to Arco) and have good performance at long ranges (over 500yds) when they hit them. Expansion and penetration, usually an exit, have been reported to be good.

And as I said the 135 J36s 270s on yotes have performed very well both in ability to hit the target and to provide good expansion from 50 to 400 yds.

Its the price that holds me back as I use the same bullet for everything. Also they make nothing heavier than 135s in 270 cal.

[/ QUOTE ]

They told me they had some annealing problems when I was not getting any expansion. However, they may have fixed the problem and the bullets may now expand properly. I just can't get all jacked up about them for my deer hunting since I had 4 pass throughs last year without expansion.

Heck, one deer was shot in the neck and was knocked down unconcious for several minutes and then he got up and boogied out. Four weeks later I killed him with an accubond and when we did the autopsy, we found a perfectly healed wound on his neck that showed ZERO expansion. So if they will not expand in a deers' neck when shot from a 30/338 Lapua Improved at over 3600 fps, then I have to let them continue to gather dust.

Plus, I really like the severe knock-downs we get from the bigger 338 with the nosler 225s. They dont fly as nice as the LRBs but when they do arrive, they make a statement. Finally, I think once I hammer down which one of the wildcat bullets works best for me, we will have the very best of both worlds with respect to flight characteristics and expansion.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.