Lost Gear!

shootinfool

I was wondering if I am the only stupid person in the world or not. I was out shooting yesterday at one of my places that offers super long shots, and I left my rangefinder behind. I know exactly where it was left because it was the last shooting position that I had picked out to shoot at some rocks about 1150 yds. I had left it there and traveled home only to find out that I was without one of my most important pieces of gear. I got home at a little after 10:30 pm and found out at about 10:45 that I left it there. I jumped back in the truck and drove 3 hours west(only 2 1/2 during day time) only to find 4 wheeler tracks going to where I had been shooting, footprints everywhere, and then 4 wheeler tracks leaving the place and no rangefinder anywhere to be found. I drove back home with great dissapointment. This stupid mistake cost me around $450 plus the extra gas money to travel out and back. I feel like and Idioit. Just wondering if any of you have ever donated some of your equiptment to either the great outdoors or to others that have found it? If so, how much did it set you back?

Ouch, sorry to hear that!

Yeah I donated a $500 dollar fly rod this year. I was fishing out of my pontoon boat, hooking some nice 16" trout out of a lake. Then one grabbed ahold of my fly and off goes my rod in the lake. Sinking like the titanic, I panic and starded rowing the wrong way. Got ahold of myself but it was all too late.

Two weeks ago I was grouse hunting with my dad. We stopped off to shoot our 17 hmr at the gravel pit. Later I realized my wallet was not in my pocket. Looked on the floorboard, it spilled all over. But I couldnt find my credit card, so I raced back to the gravel pit, just tracks there. No card.

Last edited:
Yup. Been there done that. As a 15yo I donated my Dad's Case hunting knife to a trickle of a stream in northcentral PA. As 25yo I donated my Dad's bamboo fly rod and wicker creel he had from the 1930's to a Ravensburg State Park picnic table. As a 35yo I donated my folding Kabar (Buck type) knife to a tree next to a lovely brook trout stream in PA. As a 36yo I donated my wife to some smelly dope smoking dude with long hair in FL. As a 56yo I donated my Leatherman to the back end of my railroad truck.

It happens to us all.

this past june me and my buddy were fishing offshore in a 12ft zodiac inflatable we where going to tie up to a rig and fish over night but the sea got to rough 6-7 ft so we headed in just before dark. coming in through the jettys the tide was coming out and the waves where breaking 10-12ft. we lost power and a big breaker flip us over .we where able to dive clear as it happen and swim back to the boat and hold on till we drifted into calmer water inside the jetties but we lost 2 penn international 80 2 speeds and rods plus other equipment that total over $4000 but we live to fish another day thank god for looking out for us that evening Roger Hunter

I'm sorry to hear that! it happens to the best of us! Something good will come out of it!

I'm gufus enough to do any of these things -been lucky i guess.

STXHunter --ouch man that's a big loss .
I've been in seas like that coming into the jetty and man it does get sloppy .

Yup. Been there done that. As a 15yo I donated my Dad's Case hunting knife to a trickle of a stream in northcentral PA. As 25yo I donated my Dad's bamboo fly rod and wicker creel he had from the 1930's to a Ravensburg State Park picnic table. As a 35yo I donated my folding Kabar (Buck type) knife to a tree next to a lovely brook trout stream in PA. As a 36yo I donated my wife to some smelly dope smoking dude with long hair in FL. As a 56yo I donated my Leatherman to the back end of my railroad truck.

It happens to us all.

This is one of the funniest posts I have read in years!!!

Hey some of you guys need to tell me when and where you are going out the next time. I need to know when you are going to leave to so I can go clean up behind you.

Two years ago out calling yotes and a strom rolls in and i was hunting some new ground so i zip up the pack and head for the pick up at a good pace only to realize when i got home that i didn't zip up my pack and lost my bino's and rangefinder. next day after looking under 6 new inches of snow i couldn't find either one. wife is still not happy about that hunting trip!

WOW - Lots of stupid guy stories here - I'll have to add mine.

Lost a beautiful set of 10x50 binos in the fields of PA while groundhoggin'. Haven't a clue as to where I had them last.

Dropped my Motorola 2-way radio in a field on another trip and found it 2 weeks later. Weather had destroyed it.

I had my cell phone drop out of its clip one time too many and never saw it again.

I took a few "trophy" pictures with a heap of groundhogs and my favorite custom built 22mag rifle. The rifle wears a Harris bi-pod which lets the rifle rest on the ground nicely. Apparently, I forget to toss the rifle back in my SUV before backing the truck up. C-R-U-N-C-H

Now lets see you guys beat that!!

Had my instrument operator forget to close the side door on the pickup bed after work. Donated a $10K surveying total station to Interstate 40.

Some gentleman was nice enough to bring it to our office though, having picked up the remains from the highway and reading the remnants of the ID tag.

Yeah, that only happens once.

Beyond that, I'm down two knives, countless game calls, a machete (which is probably in a tree where I put it so I wouldn't forget it), and 6,304 cheap pairs of sunglasses (number being provided from my wife, I don't recall that many :confused:).

Lost my wallet once while early season scouting up on the front,3 months later a rancher called me and asked me if i wanted it back,they found it while bringing their cattle down!Left a pair of binos on the roof of the truck,GONE,had an entire pack of gear stolen out of the back of the truck,GONE.

I hads turkey decoys stoloen from the back of my pickup truck....DURING SPRING SEASON!!!

Went into a fly shop and bought some beautiful hand tied flies then left them by the pond.

Worst, I put some leaves over the case of a $350 digital camera and left it there. I actually bet its still there!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.