Loose HS Precision Swivel Studs

Full Curl

I picked up a HS Precision Pro-Series 2000 Sporter stock for my 270wsm 6 months ago. Bedded the action and floated the barrel. While hunting with it here for the last couple weeks I've noticed that the swivel studs are both loose. I can finger tighten them but when tight they are not nice and perpendicular to the barrel. I don't think I'm at risk for one coming out when I'm carrying the rifle via sling because the bolts for each stud are so long, but none of my other rifles have loose studs and I just would like them to be nice and tight and not move at all. I don't want to crank on them for fear of stripping the threads. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I picked up a HS Precision Pro-Series 2000 Sporter stock for my 270wsm 6 months ago. Bedded the action and floated the barrel. While hunting with it here for the last couple weeks I've noticed that the swivel studs are both loose. I can finger tighten them but when tight they are not nice and perpendicular to the barrel. I don't think I'm at risk for one coming out when I'm carrying the rifle via sling because the bolts for each stud are so long, but none of my other rifles have loose studs and I just would like them to be nice and tight and not move at all. I don't want to crank on them for fear of stripping the threads. Any suggestions? Thanks.[/QUOTE

I would add a small washer and loctite them in. I've had the same trouble with lots of stocks, from cheap to hair curling expensive

Thanks guys. I Georgiashooter, when you say Loctite, do you mean their expoxy or their thread locker? Not sure what would be best. If thread locker, what color do you recommend? Funny how expensive stocks have such a simple problem. Thanks again.

Thanks guys. I Georgiashooter, when you say Loctite, do you mean their expoxy or their thread locker? Not sure what would be best. If thread locker, what color do you recommend? Funny how expensive stocks have such a simple problem. Thanks again.
I use the blue, either 242 or 243. It is the threadlocker.

I have had this problem on a couple hs stocks. I cut a small circle out of a computer mouse pad that is same size as stud head, punch a hole through it and use it as a washer to get stud nice and tight. Has worked great for me, soft so it dosent crush down on stock and if cut precisely with a havalon blade, you can't even see it under stud head.

I just got a new HS stock and all three swivel studs were loose, even when screwed in as far as possible. I cleaned the studs with hot soapy water to get the oil off, then cleaned them with rubbing alcohol. Then use blue Loctite. I would have used red if I'd had some. I am not 100% sure this will work, if they come loose even a little I will drill out the holes and epoxy them with a releasing agent.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts