Loopy or Zeiss

Bravo 4

Ok guys, I have a bit of a problem. I don't like to buy things for myself so my wife usually has to do it. Even the 338Edge Kirby built for me took the talking into by my wife. I have a 16X Super Sniper on it and want to upgrade, been wanting to since last deer season. She said she is going tomorrow and getting me a new scope and I better let her know what I want or she is gonna pick one she likes. And she has absolutely no idea what she is doing. I told her to wait till I got home and she said she wants me to have it when I get home, so I better tell her by tomorrow. I have narrowed my choices down to a new 6.5-20X50 VX3 or Zeiss Conquest. I know the Zeiss has much better glass but only has 45inches of adjustments. The Loopy has 72inches. I use a mark4 Loopy daily and have no problem with it, they are just over priced in my opinion. I have Leupold dovetail rings and base and was wondering if the Burris rings with inserts would work with the Zeiss since I would have to buy new rings for it anyway. Your opinions just happen to matter to me. Thanks!
By the way, it will be used for targets and deer/coyote hunting out to 1000yds. The load is a 300gr SMK at about 2800fps.

Don't confuse the Conquest with the much superior (and more expensive) Zeiss Diavari models.

The S&B is great, but what about the NXS? It seems to be the most popular long range scope nowadays.

One last question. Where in the world did you find a wife like that?

A buddy of mine introduced us....after a rodeo I was in(the bull I drew pretty much embarised me). The night involved me getting drunk(a rare occurance), a thong, resistol hat and cowboy boots. She said it was the craziest thing she had ever seen. I guess it works, you should try it sometime. Just make sure your buddies don't see or they'll never let you live it down. And when somebody asks y'all how ya met, it's a hell of a story.

Of course she does, and wouldn't you know it she is one of the hottest women you will ever see! Don't get me wrong my wife is a beautiful woman.but her sister is so hot you have to wear sun glasses around her so nobody see's you staring(especially at her big fake D b.....)! Of course she is married to a multi-millionaire. I think I better go call my wife, by the way she also just got me a palm and Exbal. Great woman!

B4, I prefer Leupolds: have 2 VXIII long range 30mm with side focus. Even on highest power, (20X) they have just enough eye relief to keep from tapping my eyebrow. One is on a .30 x .378 Wby, the other is on a .338 x .378 Wby. They have good glass from edge to edge, good range of elevation, strong tubes, and I've been told, good customer service. I also like that they are American made by an American company. I am presently trying to buy a LPS 4-14X. It has the best glass I've ever seen and holds 4" of eye relief at any power.

If you want to find out if you have enough eye relief, try belly shooting. One shot will do it.

I wouldn't choose a scope only because of eye relief, but it is a great tie breaker on a hard kicker.

Tom

Go with the S&B if you can spring for it -----I compete at 1k with the NF scopes. You could not run fast enough to give me a Loopy. Seen too many fail but I know many people love them but that is my opinion.

Personally, I am a big USO fan and own many but you are looking at around 2k or so..

No I didn't get the scope yet. I talked her into more time. The reason I was gonna get the Vx-III or the Conquest is because I have a Buddy who works in a well known local gun shop. They only sell Bushnell, Leupold and Zeiss (and cheaper brands I wouldn't put on the Edge). He can get me one for his cost. And told my wife she didn't have to fork it all over at once. We are saving to buy or build her a new house when I get home and so a large portion of my pay goes straight into a savings account. When asked if one of those is the scope I really want, I said they would do for what we could pay for. She told me to get the one I really want....which is the IOR or NXS. They are almost double what I would pay for the others. Am I beeing too greedy? I almost want somebody to talk me down! But then again, those large knob IOR's are freaking bad-***!

B4

Hi Buddy, and a big thanks for protecting us all.

Let me tell you a story, I have been in this game now since I was 8 years old and to date I have owned:

More than 7 Gun cabinets
in exccess of 15 scopes (I have only ever had three full bore rifles)

These are just a few items that I have multi owned and now recognise I need to replace another 3 scopes that will cost me in excess of $5000.

Why:

Simply because I was too keen to wait until I got what I wanted/really needed and the cash was burning a hole in my pocket.

Had I got what I really wanted/needed I would not need to spend the next $5000 and I would have reduced my cabinet ownership down to about 3 and saved thousands selling things 2nd hand that I no longer need or was suitable.

You wife is absolutely right in what she's saying:

She told me to get the one I really want....which is the IOR or NXS.

So go get the IOR or NXS.

If you don't I'll bet you will in a year or two, cos thats what I'm going thro even today:eek:

They are a lot of money, but the best costs and its true; spend the cash and cry only once, you will be saving in the long run believe me, I've cried alot :D

One final point; You have a custom made rifle by one of the reputed (only reputed cos I can't afford for Kirby or Shawn to build me a custom rifle and so i have no direct experience of these guys work) best gunsmiths of all time, your rifle and you deserve the best so "don't ruin the ship for an Ha'peth of tar"

HP

Bravo-4, you've come to the wrong place to be "talked down" from buying a cool new toy; It's kinda like going to a bar for marriage advise - you may only hear what you want to hear and not get a sane answer. So, take my advise for what is worth.

Of course your wife is going to say "get what you want dear" - you guys are in love. When she wants to put the house together you're going to say the same to her and that is going to put one hell of a strain on your relationship and finances - one of the two main reasons couples divorce.

Get the Lupy at cost and save your money - you're going to need it if you're building a new home for your lovely wife. It's going to cost you a lot of money - a lot more than you realize right now. The house, the kitchen appliance upgrades, the window coverings which will cost you same at two custom rifles, the carpet upgrades and new furniture your lovely wife is going to want for her new beautiful home. If you want a happy home (and who doesn't) you're going to have to make some adjustments.

The 30mm 6.5-20x50 Lupy is very nice scope; if you can get one for $ 600.00 you are a lucky guy. The cool Ior is going to run you $,1300.00 -

Save your money until after you build your house - and reloading room.

TAC

Last edited:
Well guys, thanks for all the advise. I thought long & hard, I got greedy and ordered the SnipersHide specail order IOR 3-18. That was early October. They were supposed to come in last Nov. It finally showed up today. And.....DANG!!!! This is a pretty awesome piece of equipment. The rings and mount won't be in for another week so I won't be able to mount and shoot it till next weekend. Would I have been happy with the other two? Yes but just because I wouldn't know what I was missing!

Congrats Marc! I think you'll be very happy with it. Once you get some time behind it you'll be spoiled forever. The glass, the reticle, simplicity of FFP and Mil knobs, big ele knob, etc...next time you decide to upgrade it'll cost you a lot more as nothing less than a S&B or USO will do! ;) Fortunately that probably won't happen for a very long time, if ever.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.