Looks like MT might get easier to hunt!

Oh boys, we almost had our way with the mutts today!
But back on topic!
I find it interesting how Montana did not manage the wolves initially and now we have no elk! The Gardiner MT was a world renowned area for elk hunting! Now there is barely a general hunt! The money that those elk made the fish and game was crazy, and those elk kept the state ALIVE!
I read 2 days ago that the YNP only has 40 wolves left from disease, from a population high of 170...Ha Ha! So now they are saying that because the wolf populations were so dense that disease spread at an unprecedented rate.....Really? Are you serious? Are they doing what I think, now that the whole elk herd is gone they are basically saying the wolf numbers should have been controlled?
The idiots vaccinate the wolves for Parvo, and who knows what else, but will not orally vaccinate Bighorn sheep for lung worm (which is from domestic sheep) or treat Pink Eye, because it is unnatural! Each mature Bighorn ram is worth a ton of money to the economy not to mention the Fish and Game Dept. These idiots need to go broke! The bison problem that is costing so much money to manage? Oh simple, Give the animal a nuisance status, enabling the bison to be harvested for food for free by anybody! Oh no more government money being spent and people would flock to the area for their chance at Tatonka, flooding the economy with money, from every gas stop, restaurant, sporting goods store, Etc. across the country. Oopsie, Good for everyone!
And make the wolf a predator, for Christ sake I am begging!

Bros id like to buy a cold pack and just sit down and bs with so i can put a person to the messages. Lol

I think it might be possible to push em out from below and catch crossing the logging road ambush style, but it'd take a bunch of guys to do it.

And after i get a few brewskies in bros ill convince him we need to car poll down and help you push. Hahah

Personally, I have thought for quite awhile that charging $350 for a non-resident wolf tag is kind of dumb. The state of Montana ought to make it so any big game license is automatically valid for two wolves as well. Call it a combo license. Then sell $50 non-resident wolf tags to anyone who just wants to hunt wolves.

I understand that wolves are difficult to hunt under any circumstances, let alone some of the crazy restrictions currently in existence. It also seems to me that many of the folks taking wolves successfully are big game hunters engaging targets of opportunity. Moreover, since wolves have not been hunted in the lower 48 for a very long time, we as hunters are going to have to undergo a very steep learning curve. IMO, the more sets of eyes and the more rifles we can get afield, the better.

I used to live in Montana and coveted a Gardiner elk hunt for a long time. It's a shame that dream is gone. I would gladly pay $50 for a wolf tag and would be willing to plan a trip solely for that purpose. No way will I pay $350 for the privelege of helping Montana Fish & Game solve a problem that they created themselves.

I hope the folks in charge wise up and loosen the rules for hunting wolves and I hope they do it in time to save the game herds that have made Montana the envy of much of the country. If they don't, the revenue won't be there to support their own jobs. Trouble is, that goes for a lot of other folks who deserve better than that!

Benchracer, good post. I agree. At the meeting a few nights ago I learned the non-res tag price is to go down for 2013. I do feel they will do this now. Also I feel we will be allowed to use electronics to call. Don't know if this will help that much but as the population numbers increase finding one should be easier too.

500Mag, we need to meet up one day. As for helping Threejones, I may be making a trip with a friend over there soon.:)gun)

Jeff

Well i went and sent from the ultra this evening and shes still hitting beautiful. 700 yards one into the hill side to warm her and the next right to the heart of a 2 liter bottle of pepsi. Tomorrow morning heading out to see if i can find that big gray devil that was spotted yesterday night.

Set up high before light and wait and see if he'll give me an opportunity AGAIN!!

I know he is the exact same!!! EXACT same one that out waited me during big game season. Round two will hopefully be mine!! gun) gun)

Ill report back tomorrow night!!

SHUT DOWN!!

I went up there this morning chained the Dodge up all the way around at the bottom because this road can be a little crazy with snow and ice! Made it in about a mile and there is a chain across the road with a big white fwp sign saying area closed to all access till May, 25!! WHAT THE HELL!!! Two days ago a buddy drove in about 3 miles further then hiked the rest of the way with no problems . This area is owned by the FWP and they close it with wolves running the area and the season still open!?!?

I thought the fwp were for taking the wolf population down a little not restricting hunters from taking them out!

So quite ****ed off about the area closure then to add to it they put the chain across the road right before a turn around area! i mean come on people put the **** sign down where you can see it before you are fully committed to this road that is just wide enough to drive the truck up to begin with!

Vented!!!

Sounds about the way one would expect the fish cops to do it! Is the closed area a wma?
How much fun was that vehicle turn around operation?

Oh you ask, why can this dept. not understand how much money these mutts are costing them? I will not fully explain how I feel about this, but it has to do with a bunch of sissies when it comes to this wolf political issue, and a dept full of wolf lovers running the show! Which is old news. Except commisioner Dan vermillion who is my hero on this one for opposing the sudden closure (temporarily ha ha) of wolf hunting around YNP.

Yes it is a wma.

And vehicle turn around operation!! Haha let's just say there was no such thing as turn around in my future! I ended up backing the whole way out and the thing that sucked is on the way up i wasnt expecting to need to back down the mountain so where the drifts were i wasnt as worried about hugging the up hill side so when id hit them in the middle it would suck my truck toward the down hill side so lets just say backing back down through all the drifts (75% of the way up there) was a bit interesting. All i have to say is a full set of chains is worth their weight i gold on that kind of ****.

ALWAYS have a full set of chains on Montana back roads, especially in the winter. And if it rains on you while you're on a Gumbo road, you're not going anywhere without chains until it dries out which could be days. I've done the backing out thing down the mountain a couple of times, no fun for sure. I've pulled a couple of rigs out of the ditch on forest service roads too. I had chains and they didn't.

This whole wolf thing is B@#$%^&*! The only way it's gonna get fixed is to have a state goverment that will stand up to the Feds and good luck with that with the current Gov, Baucus and Tester. They need to go!

It will take year round hunting and trapping just to control these killers.

1 on the chains thing mine never leave my tool box even in the summer. Ha and with backing out of areas big mirrors are a life saver!! God i love those dodge mirrors! Lol

As for Baucus and Tester we are in trouble not only with wolves but our second amendment! Special Tester! I love how when he is here he's a sportsman but up in Washington it's like hes a mini obama... They tell us one thing and as soon as they walk away they are doing the exact opposite... great government..

Im off to Texas!! Hehe

Oh boys, we almost had our way with the mutts today!
But back on topic!
I find it interesting how Montana did not manage the wolves initially and now we have no elk! The Gardiner MT was a world renowned area for elk hunting! Now there is barely a general hunt! The money that those elk made the fish and game was crazy, and those elk kept the state ALIVE!
I read 2 days ago that the YNP only has 40 wolves left from disease, from a population high of 170...Ha Ha! So now they are saying that because the wolf populations were so dense that disease spread at an unprecedented rate.....Really? Are you serious? Are they doing what I think, now that the whole elk herd is gone they are basically saying the wolf numbers should have been controlled?
The idiots vaccinate the wolves for Parvo, and who knows what else, but will not orally vaccinate Bighorn sheep for lung worm (which is from domestic sheep) or treat Pink Eye, because it is unnatural! Each mature Bighorn ram is worth a ton of money to the economy not to mention the Fish and Game Dept. These idiots need to go broke! The bison problem that is costing so much money to manage? Oh simple, Give the animal a nuisance status, enabling the bison to be harvested for food for free by anybody! Oh no more government money being spent and people would flock to the area for their chance at Tatonka, flooding the economy with money, from every gas stop, restaurant, sporting goods store, Etc. across the country. Oopsie, Good for everyone!
And make the wolf a predator, for Christ sake I am begging!
AMEN on that! I'd prefer a "shoot on site" order for the mutts, but I'd settle for "predator" status.

Hey 500, are you coming here with Broz? I'll check for chains running across the roads ahead of time fog ya! Ha Ha, couldn't resist.

For you guys running the thompson river check the bottom of rock creek and richards peak over on the farns worth road. They hit those areas hard. There is also a big pack that hits the back of bar Z in the murr creek canyon. Not sure which one is the pack that comes off of rock creek but there are alot of black ones on that pack. Out by lost trail they have a den up above the bear springs road and they have been dropping off to the west by the school( they hunt that guys cows he lost a lot of cows to wolves). Also check the Mckillup loop road they run that a lot to. In the ashley lake area they were running the ridge between ashley lake and bittroot lake. The back side of talley lake has a den also and the cross on talley if its iced over. We have called them out on the ice a lot of times. For the guys shooting long range that one would be fun just have not had time to do it ( more lazy then time) with lion season. I know where there are more if anyone wants to know.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.