Looking to Purchase a 22-243 AI

mjbine

I have been reading a lot about this cartridge and I think I want a rifle chamberred in this caliber. Who offers these, which gunsmiths would build one? I am not familar with any custom rifles or gunsmiths but this one would be my first. I want to use this rifle for varmints from 400 to 1000 yards. I believe this caliber can handle that. Any and All help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

the 22-243AI will certainly make for a 1000yd varmint gun , unless your stuck on the 22 cal I personaly thi k you would be much better served by the standard 243 Ai , you will get longer barrel life , it won't be as finicky to load for , the heavier VLD bullets have a much better BC so they drop less and drift less at long range and you will have much more on target energy.

But with the 75-90 gr bullet any of the hot 22's are impressive at longer ranges , I have just found that they start to gte a bit harder to load for when the powder capacity increases. If you look at what the 22-243 Ai does and compair to what the 22-250Ai does you will see that their isn't that much differance and the 243 case is buring alot more powder.

I agree

I agree with James. I am looking myself at a 243AI.

I also am looking at a 22 wildcat, but in 224 Clark (best described as 22-257 Roberts Improved) or 22-6mm(possibly Improved). While anything above a 22-250 Improved would be over kill, I think the 22-243 goes way beyond. Not enough gain for powder burn.

Rocky

22-243ai

It really depends on many things in these choices presented. Each is a wildcat so load data and components would be the same. BC is impressive these days with 22 cal bullets. Barrel life on all of these screamers will be relatively short compared to a 243AI. If the need for speed exceeds the need for barrel life then 22-243AI or 224TTH.

My personal choice is the 6 X 257 RobertsAI with the shoulder moved forward .200 thou and shoulder angle changed to 30 degrees. I have the core drill and finish reamer. Think of it in terms of a 5.6 X 57 improved.

22-243ai

My suggestion would be to go with the straight 22-6mm Remington. The longer neck will come in handy. Cases are very easy to form, just one pass through the 22-6mm FL die. I have one shooting the 70 grain VLD Bergers in the 1s and 2s at 100 yards at 3644 FPS. This one is a 10-twist and will not stabilize the 75 grain Hornady. If you want to shoot the bigger bullets, I'd go with an 8 or 8.5 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts