looking for suggestions

Daniel Ludwig

will be building a rifle soon on my Remington 700 long action .532 boltface(origionally 7mm Rem Mag) to suit my long range hunting needs. i hunt mainly white tails and afew groundhogs, at ranges of 300-1000 yards. i am searching for a caliber to suit those needs. rifle will be barreled by Douglas here in WV. im looking for something that will give me the long range ability im looking for without going much over a 28" tube. ive been kicking around alot of ideas, and already have one rifle being fitted with a Clay Spencer 27" barrel chambered for 338-06, which i am giving to my father.
thanks for any advice
Daniel J. Ludwig

If you like the 7mm go with a 7mm STW with a 9 twist to shoot the heavy bullets with hi BC. you may want to move up to 30 I would think about the 300 win mag 308 Baer or a 300 ultra mag 10 twist you will probably want a brake installed on the Ultra mag. Then you could move up to the 338 My favorite for long range work the 338 Baer or 338 ultra mag or use a 300 ultra and imp and stuff a 338 bullet. The 300 ultra in a longer case.
Crow Mag

7 STW.....great caliber for what you want. I use the 156 grain cauterucio bullets with a 615 bc.

The 176 cauterucio has a bc of 750, but allegedly need a faster twist. Some opinions vary on this. I personally do not know since I only have used the 156's. The shoot 1/2" in my gun and thats ok with me. Plus the 156 is flat shooting out to 300.

Good luck.

Douglas is not known for the most accurate barrels or for long range barrels. Depending on your needs I'd lean towards a quality barrel as a first priority.

Jeff

im not sure yet about the barrel yet, waiting to see how the spencer tube is gonna do on the 338-06. i have an older Douglas Premium air gauge barrel and it shoots very well. also leaning towards Hart if the Spencer doesnt pan out like i want it to.
the STW sounds like a good idea, had the good fortune to borrow a Sendero in that round afew years ago, dynamite deer rifle.
thanks all

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.