Looking for some help.

sniperjwt

I have several questions about this type of pistol. I am purchasing a Savage Striker in 7mm-08. The idea of having a rifle caliber in a pistol intrigues me. The previous owner said it has been bedded and recrowned and shoots sub 1" groups at 100yds. So here is where my questions start.
Being i have never shot a handgun like this what can i expect for recoil?
What bullet weight do you think would be best and how far could this thing actually be accurate to?
What powder or powders should i try?
I have herd of people having rifle scopes on the pistols how is that possible with such a small eye relief on the rifle scopes?
How much slower is it going to be vs a rifle (14" barrel)?

Given my desire to streach the limits of every gun i got i intend to do the same to this gun. Is it an unrealistic goal to be able to consistantly ring a steel target at 500yds with this gun?

THanks for all the help.

I hunt with a center grip custom XP 7/08 with a 16.25 heavy barrel and recoil is very mild.

I use 150 gr Ballistic Tips and have taken deer beyond 500 yards with it. some on this site have made longer shots with 7/08 pistols, but 518 yards is my longest on deer.

I also use an intermediate eye relief 2.5x7 scope and dont worry about the eye relief.

J E CUSTOM

I have several questions about this type of pistol. I am purchasing a Savage Striker in 7mm-08. The idea of having a rifle caliber in a pistol intrigues me. The previous owner said it has been bedded and recrowned and shoots sub 1" groups at 100yds. So here is where my questions start. Being i have never shot a handgun like this what can i expect for recoil?

The recoil of the 7mm/08 in a handgun is pretty mild.

What bullet weight do you think would be best and how far could this thing actually be accurate to?

I use 139 gr. Hornady Spire Points. Another bullet in the 140 gr. range would be fine as well. You don't want to go with too long a bullet (i.e., heavier) or velocity in a short barrel might not be enough to stabilize it.

What powder or powders should i try?

You can use the same powder you would use for loading a rifle. If you like, peruse the Hornady manual as it has loads made specifically for handguns. I use IMR 4064.

I have herd of people having rifle scopes on the pistols how is that possible with such a small eye relief on the rifle scopes?

I don't use rifle scopes on handguns but it apparently works for some especially if the gun is going to be used mostly for target shooting and providing you're shooting a relatively low recoil round.

How much slower is it going to be vs a rifle (14" barrel)?

You'll probably lose 30 to 50 fps per inch of shorter barrel.

my desire to streach the limits of every gun i got i intend to do the same to this gun. Is it an unrealistic goal to be able to consistantly ring a steel target at 500yds with this gun?

That would depend on the size of the steel target.

thanks guys as always your a lot of help. I will have to wait until i shoot it to see if i think i could handle a rifle scope on it. Ill let you know what happens. Most likely be a couple weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.