Looking for some help.

AJ Peacock

Guys,

For nearly a week, I've contemplated whether I should post this.

Since I consider the members here on LRH my friends, I decided to go ahead and post it; afterall, I'd want a friend of mine to let me know if he was needing a hand.

I was laid off in May of 2008 and although I've done a couple things since then, I've had a very difficult time finding work (this area has a 17%+ unemployment rate).

I'm not going to post an entire resume, but I didn't think it would hurt to hit some high points.

I grew up on a horse ranch in Colorado and worked my way through college where I received a BS in Applied Mathematics/Computer Science.

I've spent 20+ years in every aspect of the software industry, from SW engineering to IT management and client interaction (including pre and post sales). I've worked for both large and small companies and traveled worldwide in support of those businesses.

Outside of the computer industry, I've done a number of things when work was scarce (Substitute teaching, machine shop worker, Licensed Insurance agent etc.).

My hobbies are varied (hunting, fishing, shooting, softball coaching, photography).

I've enjoyed every job I've had, some have been very lucrative and others "not so much".

I'm completely open to just about anything that will help me support my family. I'm very adaptable and am not afraid of hard work.

I'm willing to relocate as required.

A full resume and references are available upon request.

As a final bribe, I could use some help wearing the barrel out on my 338AM,
finding a job will certainly aid in paying for components :D

Thanks guys,
AJ

AJ man that sucks I am a Union Ironworker so I know all to well about being laid off for long periods.

Have you looked in to Corning glass, Bausch and Lomb, Kodak, Paychecks or Xerox they are all located around me and although times are tough you never know with your level of education and work experience.

I also have another option for you but most guys don't like it. I spent 10 years as professional solider and have seen first had the money that can be made overseas as a contractor. I am not talking about security contractors either. I would send your resume to KBR (Kellogg Brown and Root) DynCorp. They have lots of opportunity for men and woman to earn a substantial living in one year's time while helping out the troops. It is relatively safe and there are a myriad of other company's looking for management as well as blue collar types. If you have any questions on it you can PM me.

Sorry to hear about that AJ, but also glad to know what you're looking for. I'll keep the ol eyes and ears open.:)

My wifes nephew went overseas for 1 year and made a ton of money. Paid off everything he owed on including his house, stuck a big wad in the bank and now he set pretty well. Just a thought but the money's there if you could be away from family. I couldn't do the family separation thing but some can.

Good luck.

for what its worth i will give AJ my A+ reccomendation. we have spent a lot of time around each other these last few months and a better fellow would be hard to find. he would sure be an asset to any company that hired him. prob shouldnt hire him as a short order cook. he is ok grilling steaks but aint gotta a clue how many taters it takes to feed 3 folks.(he peeled a whole 5 lb sack once) :D

The mines around here are always hiring. Here are some links:

Barrick
Newmont

Both have openings for an IT people.

Good luck. If you do get a job here, I will hold you to that 338AM bribe.

Paul

AJ, I wish I could give you better news. I work residential and light commercial concrete construction in Cn MN. Work was great up until about a year and a half ago and we are seeing big cuts too. The only job that I see is always in the paper is "owner Operators" and I think there is a good reason they are on demand... not that well paying after you consider the insurance and fuel...

I suspect the construction industry is going to rebound slightly within the next year. I wish you the best of luck.

AJ, PM me some of the programming lang. you have worked with. My brother and his wife are both software engineers and I will see if either knows of any jobs at their companies(defense contractors). They are in Minnieapolis Mn. They designed the guidance system for the Crusader project(new tank) and are working with a smart land mine fields at the present. You always could go into explosives, not to many of us and with the back ground similar to mine(math/engineering) it was a easy transition.

Brent

Hello--Sorry to hear of your employment situation..I can offer one suggestion that maybe will help. In Mississippi, we have a serious lack of teachers. Therefore, anyone with a college degree, such as your own, can begin teaching with an emergency certificate if he/she will agree to complete an "alternate route" to obtain a teaching degree. I think you have three years to complete the program, and it does not involve very many classes to get a real teaching certificate.

Good luck with your job search...maybe this is something you can check into.

Oh, by the way....During this period, teachers working on the alternate route do not receive substitute pay....they get actual teacher salary, I believe.

AJ, PM me some of the programming lang. you have worked with. My brother and his wife are both software engineers and I will see if either knows of any jobs at their companies(defense contractors). They are in Minnieapolis Mn. They designed the guidance system for the Crusader project(new tank) and are working with a smart land mine fields at the present. You always could go into explosives, not to many of us and with the back ground similar to mine(math/engineering) it was a easy transition.

Brent

Thanks everybody.

Brent,

I sent you a PM. My great grandfather was an explosives expert in Texas/OK/Kansas. He put out oil rig fires (like Red Adair), back in the early 1900's. That would be an interesting skillset to learn! I've help set some charges when I was working on the Natural Gas pipelines in Western Colorado/Eastern Utah while going to College, I really enjoyed what little of that stuff I helped with.

Thanks again,
AJ

AJ- eastern PA has a lot of openings frequently for IT type and software openings. Look in the King of Prussia or Phili areas. If you're ok with moving there I'm sure it won't take you long to find something up your alley. Best of luck and wish I could be of more help.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.