Looking for opinion on local gunshop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kbb468, Oct 8, 2006.

1. kbb468

kbb468 Well-Known Member

I want to have some work done on a savage and thought of taking it to the local Gander Mountain here in Novi, Michigan to save on shipping and FFL charges. Has anyone here dealt with Gander Mountain in general. Good or Bad?

Thanks

2. Dead Beat

Dead Beat Well-Known Member

you can ship a gun in for service and work without going through a ffl dealer

3. EddieHarren

EddieHarren Well-Known Member

You can ship your rifle to any FFL dealer in the USA. You do not have to go an FFL to ship it for you.
    As for Gander Mpountains work, ask someone who has had work done by them. They should be able to provide references.

4. kbb468

kbb468 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I was hoping that maybe someone on here may have done business with them personally or knew of someone who has. Thanks for the information on shipping.

5. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

What kind of work are you planning to have done?

The GM gunsmith at our local store really doesn't enjoy what he does. He has not been very helpful.

These two places are in Davison just outside of Flint.
    Williams Gun Sight
    Answer Rifles - for some reason that sight would not come up.

I have had Answer do good work.

6. kbb468

kbb468 Well-Known Member

I want to have a pre-chambered Douglas barrel installed along with having the head space set, true the action and bolt face.

Answer is located in Troy or Madison Heigths around stephenson highway and 15 mile. I thought they only did porting and breaks.

7. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

As far as I know they do it all (my uncle has 3 of their rifles). I am certain though I sent a rifle to Davison (they may have moved) but I do see they are in Troy.

Give Sam a call and just make sure you have the time to talk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

8. winmagman

winmagman Well-Known Member

kbb
    I had a freind take a Winchester to the local G.M. to have it reblued, all I can say is he's glad it still shoots well cause it don't look so good. I don't know if it's something they do in house or ship out but the color/coverage varied a great deal over the barrel.

9. sniper2

sniper2 Well-Known Member

You should use reputable people! like Shawn or Kirby that are right here...

10. Dead Beat

Dead Beat Well-Known Member

good work is not cheap/cheap work is not good

11. kbb468

kbb468 Well-Known Member

Well put and a very respectful comment. The problem is timing because the good gunsmiths have waiting lines.