Looking for Muzzle Brake Suggestions

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by FullDraw84, Jul 1, 2012.

1. FullDraw84

FullDraw84 Member

I am looking for a muzzle brake for my Browning A-Bolt Long Range Hunter in 7MM. I like the gun, the recoil isn't bad but it kicks enough that I lose the sight picture.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Brands or styles to look at and also those to avoid?

It has been suggested that I go with an adjustable style, such as a QUE Adjustable Muzzle Brake ($190) or a Badger Ordnance FTE Removable Muzzle Brake ($135 but needs bored by a gunsmith, so prob closer to $200). These seem convenient and can be used between multiple rifles, but that isn't really an issue. I only have one long range rifle set up and only anticipate to use this rifle for a long time.

I have also seen the great reviews about Center Shot Rifles' Muscle Brakes. At $210 installed, that seems like an excellent option. But then I am looking at closer to $300 after shipping both ways.

Thanks for any input.

P.S. If anyone knows of a gunsmith near Grand Junction, CO that does good work, then I will definately purchase the Muscle Brake.

2. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

3 port Muscle brake. Jims newest creation would probably work just as well or better tho. He's got one now chats bigger than the mini, & smaller than the big ones.
    His handle here on LRH is "coyboy". Fling him a p.m. he's super nice, & doesn't pressure anyone. I got the mini for my shortmag.

You can always order the brake, or have your local (& preferably reputable) smith install it as per Jims instructions. That's what I did.

Your on the right track. Keep goin the direction your headed, & you won't be disappointed.

3. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Ray Montgomery of Grand Junction did an outstanding rebarrel job on a rifle for me. Was recommended by Dan Lilja.

HTH

4. IdahoCTD

IdahoCTD Well-Known Member

Or you can use one of mine for 45.00 shipped.

Attached Files:

5. mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner Well-Known Member

I use both the dlask and vais---been happy with both. And for the same reasons as you----not too worried about recoil but it's nice to call your shots. I hunt alot by myself so no spotter.

Randy

6. Explorer1

Explorer1 Active Member

Suggest a gill style, as has been suggested by many here. I have used a Holland and a couple no namer brakes.

Ask questions of the no name suppliers as some use non-standard threads which causes some headaches. The quality may be there, just understand what you are getting.

7. DUKFVR

DUKFVR Well-Known Member

I have a Vais on a 300 WSM. It works very well too.

8. bigbuck

bigbuck Well-Known Member

I have Shawns break on my 300 RUM and I shoot 210 Bergers . I can let the rifle lay in the sand bags and hold it with one hand while I shoot if I want. recoil is that like a mild .308 load or 243 . I have his 4 port. I use to have the raidious style break on a 300 mag and it sucked it blew all of the muzzle blast in your face and didnt even compare to the 4 port tank style breaks. You will not be dissapointed if you go with the port style breaks.

Good luck which ever way you go.