Looking for long range shooting partner in MN

Now that's another thing I've always wanted to try. I have a savage model 12 ftr in 308 that impresses me every time I take it out. I would love to try a comp or 2. I just shoot for fun but have always wanted to try the competition scene. I wasn't really aware that there was much along the lines of f-class competitions in our state. You ever go out to SD prairie dog hunting? I grew up over there and that's where I get most of my long range practice but that's probably twice the drive than it is to your place.

Never got to go PD hunting, sadly. There's a league in Elk River that shoots F-Class on Monday nights during the summer, I know a guy who's actively involved in running it. Elk River hosts the MN mid range state championships. Also, Harris has a 1k range where they hold some long distance F-Class Championships. I shot my first match ever, at Elk River, using a borrowed gun, this last July. It is an Awesome sport with a lot of great folks who are more than willing to help out newbies

Hmm. This range in elk river, is it easy to get a membership? I've heard of the Harris one but when I looked into a membership it seems pretty difficult. You have to get a current member to sponsor you and be nominated for membership then you have to buy a lifetime membership. I could be a little off on this process but it was something along those lines. I just want a place I can setup and shoot. I understand the theory behind this in the fact that you end up weeding out the guys that shoot up everything in sight and leave their trash behind and I like that part since the range I visit now I have to bring my own chair because people thought it was fun to plaster holes all over all the chairs that are supplied. Maybe I just need to buy my own land and start my own.

you don't have to be a member to go to the league at Elk River. Sorry for getting this off topic. The club I'm in is $35 a year plus NRA membership, and that's it, pretty simple, its a small local club, we have benches and stuff set up, plus shooting rests and spotting scopes for people to borrow

That's exactly the way my range is and the way it should be I think. I will have to look into the elk river club. That wouldn't be a bad drive for me especially if I can get to 600 yards! I like the idea of a pristine range but am willing to put up with more than most if I can just go shoot and mind my own business without having to jump through hoops to be allowed in the gates. I just added you to my contacts as well and am already looking forward to a summer shoot with somebody who likes being out there as much as I do. Who knows maybe if it goes well I will have to get you out prairie dog hunting as well. It's very addicting! My turn to get off topic. Do you have any kids? I have a 5 year old that loves going to the range. When he hears that I'm going on a shooting trip he is going to beg to go with and bring his new 22. It would be absolutely perfect if you had a little one that could cork around with mine. Otherwise he will have to stay home for this one.

no kids right yet..that will change. I'll have to check the range rules, think you're kid's old enough, but not sure. I taught marksmanship to cub scouts, so bring him along, it's always fun seeing kids enjoying shooting. I'd love to get on a PD shoot, that would be awesome!

I sure will bring him. I just never know how somebody is going to react to having a kid along. It takes that extra level of patience that a lot of guys just don't have. Of course I should have figured that a school teacher knows this all to well. I try to go on 2 or 3 prairie dog trips every summer and I kind of go by the more the merrier philosophy. It's usually me and my dad or my one buddy that shoots so its not like we ever have a whole pack of people going but it's always fun to get out there with people that enjoy being out. My dad actually taught marksmanship when I was in cub scouts and has been teaching the shooters safety course in his hometown for over 20 years. Needless to say my little man has a pretty good understanding of the does and donts and I just recently bought him a new savage rascal that he will get for Xmas this year to replace his old one that is really too big for him.

This is a magazine my dad does out of his house. It's a small operation but I try to pass it on to people around here because its based in SD but it really covers the surrounding states as well. You may enjoy it.

The Outdoorsmen Magazine

I sure will bring him. I just never know how somebody is going to react to having a kid along. It takes that extra level of patience that a lot of guys just don't have. Of course I should have figured that a school teacher knows this all to well. I try to go on 2 or 3 prairie dog trips every summer and I kind of go by the more the merrier philosophy. It's usually me and my dad or my one buddy that shoots so its not like we ever have a whole pack of people going but it's always fun to get out there with people that enjoy being out. My dad actually taught marksmanship when I was in cub scouts and has been teaching the shooters safety course in his hometown for over 20 years. Needless to say my little man has a pretty good understanding of the does and donts and I just recently bought him a new savage rascal that he will get for Xmas this year to replace his old one that is really too big for him.

This is a magazine my dad does out of his house. It's a small operation but I try to pass it on to people around here because its based in SD but it really covers the surrounding states as well. You may enjoy it.

The Outdoorsmen Magazine
Magazine looks cool. I love shooting in groups, it makes things more fun. The only time I don't is when I'm doing load development, because I get super concentrated and anal about things

We shoot registered benchrest matches at Harris,MN October 20 and 21st we are having a fun match for new shooters that are interested in shooting Long Range Benchrest. We will be shooting both 600 and 1000 yards. For more info email me at gordy mitchell (seventytwo) (at) hotmail(dot)com Or go to Gopher Rifle and Revolver Club web site click on contact. Our web Nazi will send me a notification since they will not post contact info publicly.

Gordy Mitchell
600 Yard Match Directer Harris, MN

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.