Looking for input on 300 rum loads

garyx

Just ordered a Christenen Arms Extreme II before the price increase. I havent done alot of reloading so I need some guidance. Going to use either a 180 nosler tipped accubond or a barnes 180 tipped triple x bullet. I am hunting elk and deer and want to hunt long range. Does anybody have some good loads with these bullets. Is the retumbo powder the hot ticket. Going to use nosler cases. Also who's primer. I would appreciate any input.

Just ordered a Christenen Arms Extreme II before the price increase. I havent done alot of reloading so I need some guidance. Going to use either a 180 nosler tipped accubond or a barnes 180 tipped triple x bullet. I am hunting elk and deer and want to hunt long range. Does anybody have some good loads with these bullets. Is the retumbo powder the hot ticket. Going to use nosler cases. Also who's primer. I would appreciate any input.

I've read where some guys are having some "issues" with Nosler brass. I have not. For the 300 RUM, I suggest Federal brass, if you can find it, and/or Nosler brass. If Norma is available, bite the bullet and spend the money on it as first choice.

My opinion: Remington brass is ok but not great quality.

I had a very easy time getting all 3 of these powders to work very well with the 180 Scirocco and the 200 AB: Re25, H1000, and Retumbo.

I just spoke with Mr. Hodgdon this week and discussed how Retumbo is his powder of choice for its repeated consistency lot to lot, temp stability, etc. Regardless, I suggest you buy 5-8 pounds of the SAME lot # so you should be set for a long time.

I've not put any Barnes bullets through this RUM yet as I had such great luck with the 200 AB and 180 Scirocco right from the get go. I have a lot of 180 TSX and TTSX on hand.

Oh, I did try some 180 ABs too but the tips were breaking off so Nosler sent me some 200s so I never finished testing the 180s.

Myself and 2 of my buddies shoot 300 RUM's for elk & mule deer. We have tried a number of bullet and powder combinations over the last 2 years, but all 3 of us have the best accuracy and killing results with Barnes 180 TTSX loaded with 97.0 grains of Retumbo and CCI 250 primers into either RP or Nosler brass. Best accuracy with once or more fired brass. Two of us neck size, the other full length sizes. Typical velocity ranges from 3230 to 3300 fps depending on the rifle (all 26" Remington barrels - 1 Sendero, 1 XHR and 1 stainless SPS).

My rifle is a Rem Sendero, skim bedded with a Jewell trigger. It consistently shoots 1" groups off the bench at 200 yards using a Harris bi-pod and rear bag, 3265 fps.

Attachments

• PB060054 cropped.jpg
    PB060054 cropped.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 157
Retumbo is a very good powder for the RUM as well as Ramshot magnum and H-870. The H-870 was discontinued by Hodgdon several years ago but is still available as T-870 thru Thunderbird cartridge co. in Az. It will give you the best velocity of any powder out there with good accuracy. It is a little sooty, but a good option......Rich

I am also shooting a Christensen Arms. My 180gr. accubond load is Fed 215 Gm primers, 95.5 gr RL25. This load shoots .340 inch at a 100. I also shoot 200 gr accubonds, 92.0 gr RL25, and fed 215GM primers with almost the exact same group size. I hope your gun works well for you! TK

I was shooting the 180 Accubonds as well and just switched over to giving the 190 Bergers a try. 95gr H1000 has been good. I actually found the H1000 to be more consistent than Retumbo in the crazy AZ heat.

I think the RUM really shines when you get to the heavier bullets that the other 30's can't push fast enough to compete with the 7mm's. That being said my gun shot the 150 scirrocos well enough when I first got it.

I forgot to reply about the primers. It is only now and then that I shoot a non-match grade primer. Federal is the ONLY primer I use. I have plenty of 210M and 215M.

I've read where some guys are having some "issues" with Nosler brass. I have not. For the 300 RUM, I suggest Federal brass, if you can find it, and/or Nosler brass. If Norma is available, bite the bullet and spend the money on it as first choice.

My opinion: Remington brass is ok but not great quality.

I had a very easy time getting all 3 of these powders to work very well with the 180 Scirocco and the 200 AB: Re25, H1000, and Retumbo.

I just spoke with Mr. Hodgdon this week and discussed how Retumbo is his powder of choice for its repeated consistency lot to lot, temp stability, etc. Regardless, I suggest you buy 5-8 pounds of the SAME lot # so you should be set for a long time.

I've not put any Barnes bullets through this RUM yet as I had such great luck with the 200 AB and 180 Scirocco right from the get go. I have a lot of 180 TSX and TTSX on hand.

Oh, I did try some 180 ABs too but the tips were breaking off so Nosler sent me some 200s so I never finished testing the 180s.

What kind of problems are they having with Nosler brass

I have been shooting the 300 RUM quite a bit this week working up loads. My data is in the cutting edge bullets thread in rifles, barrels and ballistics. If you are looking for a hunting load this is what I will be using out of mine. Run the ballistics on JBM against other loads and compare to see what you like best. My rifle is a hunting rifle. I work up a load, zero and it doesn't get shot much after that. The cutting edge bullets are pretty cheap when compared to a hunt if you use your rifle like I do. If you are a target shooter the ce bullets can get expensive however they are as accurate as any target bullet and perform well on game.

I am also shooting a Christensen Arms. My 180gr. accubond load is Fed 215 Gm primers, 95.5 gr RL25. This load shoots .340 inch at a 100. I also shoot 200 gr accubonds, 92.0 gr RL25, and fed 215GM primers with almost the exact same group size. I hope your gun works well for you! TK

What does rl25 stand for and what kind of velocity are you getting with 180 grain accubonds.

RL25 stands for Reloader 25 by Alliant powders and with 180 accubonds through a chrony I'm shooting 3390 fps. With 200 gr accubonds I'm right at 3200 fps with 92 grains of rl25.

RL25 is a good powder for velocity and accuracy but not very good for temp sensitivity. Retumbo is much better in that respect and gives at least as good velocity and accuracy. (at least in the 3 RUM's I've had).........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.