Looking for info about quick load.

you can do load workups with it without any data you just have to make adjustments to pressure sooner. RL-33 can be used in the 257 roy. you will be running 95-100% case fill and some serious velocity. only problem might be powder bridging with such large kernels and small hole

yes i think you are missing the fact that ql is a TOOL and like all tools is only as good ans the user

you can tune nearly everything to natch your lot of powder and your bbl...if you take notes and keep records.
like how a powder burns in s certain case.
kj/kg is a lot variable..energy per weight.
cases vary so much that to show it to all, in 300 wm they list FIVE different cases by maker and i have added 3 more.
UNTIL you work with a given case you have NO data for YOUR rifle, YOUR lot of powder, YOUR cases. so starting low is a good idea, like more than 2 grains low.
Not with the lots of powder I've been getting and in my rifles. All my measurements are precise, and I still have to Jack with powder Ba to bring velocity in with charge weight. Now once I do that, it's accurate.
For example, if I were to use a QL load without first working it up in my rifle with the powder I'm using, H1000 for example, it'll tell me 77 gr is a safe load, when in fact, it is 2 gr over pressure in my rifle. And not just that rifle, lot of powder, lot of bullet, or lot of case, either.

Maybe there is a "trick" I am missing, I definitely do not profess to know everything about the program, I just know how to safely use it for my purposes and within my capabilities.

But that doesn't help the OP.

He's looking to confirm the viability of RL33 with his Weatherby.

When a person buys QL/QT what all will come with that. Will they need to also buy QL ballistics and other programs or are they all included with the 152 dollar purchase of QL. This part comes across as a little confusing.

yes i think you are missing the fact that ql is a TOOL and like all tools is only as good ans the user

you can tune nearly everything to natch your lot of powder and your bbl...if you take notes and keep records.
like how a powder burns in s certain case.
kj/kg is a lot variable..energy per weight.
cases vary so much that to show it to all, in 300 wm they list FIVE different cases by maker and i have added 3 more.
UNTIL you work with a given case you have NO data for YOUR rifle, YOUR lot of powder, YOUR cases. so starting low is a good idea, like more than 2 grains low.

Yep. Been at this handloading thing for quite a while. I've got data on 9 cases for the 300 WM.
Only been doing the QL thing for about a year. Maybe some day I'll find another shooter that knows more about QL than me that can help me out with it. Until then, I'll just keep using it and playing with it and trying to learn more useful ways to use it. I know I've only scratched the surface of what it can do, and others know more than I do about it, and I said as much.
The 2 gr thing was an example, I knew what my max load was by working up to it, and found it was 2 gr lower than QL initially predicted. Did you take it another way?

If you have something useful to add, please feel free to do so. The OP still has questions.

I've been using it for roughly 4 yrs and I'm sure I don't use it to its potential either. What I usually try to achieve is find the powder that produces the best MV with the least amount of pressure at the predicted OBT. I also try to achieve this w/ temp stable powders. Like I've said before, Quick Loads will get you in the ball park.
I'll select my cartridge, the projectile, the measured OAL(usually .025 off lands for me), the barrel length, then play with the powders I have. Then I watch for case fill percentage(I like 95-100 %) and powder burn( I like 100 %). Once I've got that, then I'll start loads at 10% capacity down and increase it by 0.3-0.5 G increments until I pass the predicted load at the node by 2 additional loads. I'll load 5 at the lowest end(2 foulers plus 3 for development) and the rest at 3 per powder charge increase. Usually 8 different loads. Then I'll shoot at 200 yds and find 2-3 consecutive loads that are grouping well. Then it's loading at 0.1G increments below and above those loads and repeat the range trip to find that one that you like. Of course, if your barrel needs breaking in, shoot a few boxes of inexpensive factory loads first.
Unfortunately, I do not have a range out my back door like some of you lucky shooters here have!! Finding time can be a burden for me. Hope this sheds light.
Rhett

It is starting to sound like QL is what I am looking for. I am confused though on what you get when you order it. According to what I have read I will need to add their other programs for exterior ballistics and so on. Is this true or do get get every thing by purchasing QL.

QL is an awesome tool. It saves a lot of iterations. Obviously you need to feel truth and tweak any load suggestion that you come up with in QL, but it really helps with narrowing it down to start. Highly recommend it if you plan on developing loads often.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.