looking for imput

catch-34

I am looking to purchase a new rifle and am looking for some imput. I want something that will be accurate out to around 600 yards for target shooting and shooting varmints out to around 400 yards. I want it to be low recoil so that it can fire 200 rounds a day if wanted and easy to reload for. any imput would be greatly appreciated. thank you

6 BR would suit you well with most mid-heavy bullets. Alternatively a fast twist 20 cal, using the heavier high bc bullets would be excellent, with very little barrel heat build up in a heavy tube. Plus excellent barrel life in both. I'm not sure whats available manufacture wise your side of the pond, but over here sako and savage are a big favourite straight off the rack.

I was thinking about something more along the lines in 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, or 204 Ruger. wondering what experiences people have had with those calibers and how they perform

i agree on the .223, load it up with 75 gr. A-max's or 80 gr. smk's and you can shoot 600 yards+ pretty well. I'd look at the savage's, like the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter with 1:7 twist.
[/FONT]

i have taken a look at the savages and i like them. the problem is that i am left-handed and they only make a 1:9 in the 223 for left-handed. do you think that i 1:9 twist would work well for the 223?

it will, I think with the 1:9 twist it will handle bullets up to 69 grains, but maybe 75 im not quite sure but it wont stabilize the 80's i know.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.