Looking for any 168 ctbst recipes for my 30-06

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Chadden0130, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Chadden0130

Chadden0130 New Member

As the title suggests, I am looking for some info and opinions on this particular round. What I'd really like is for someone with load data to pitch their two cents as I cannot seem to find any recipes for this round with my favorite spice, imr 4350. I was drawn to this bullet for its accuracy reviews and am looking to use it for long range target; 400+. Gonna toss ''em from a savage 111 lefty under an 8-32 x 50 30mm (overkill I know but it was one of those cant pass up deals). Also, if you have any other bullet/powder suggestions for a savage 111 06 let it fly, cause I certainly haven't tried all the possibilities on the cabelas shelf, lol. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. big honkin jeep

big honkin jeep Well-Known Member

30-06 with 168gr CTBST no problem. I use neck sized Winchester brass with A CCI BR2 primer and found my best accuracy with a MAX charge of 57gr of IMR 4350. You should work up to the max. The listed starting charge I have is 53gr. I load jammed to the lands and they still fit my mag box quite easily.
    I use a different bullet (accubond) with this recipe now.
    I had a complete core jacket separation using the 168 CTBST when I shot a whitetail broadside at 40 yards and did not get a pass through. Yes it died, No it didn't go anywhere,Yes there was a quite dramatic wound channel with lots of trauma. Recovered the jacket in the ribs on the off side and the bullet fragmented into tiny pieces. Just a personal preference for a tougher bullet with more penetration in case the shot is off the mark a little.
    Good luck BHJ

3. Chadden0130

Chadden0130 New Member

Thanks jeep, as luck would have it I too use Winchester brass and cci primers. I'll be trying out some loads this weekend now. Have any opinions on accubond vs. partition? I am not particular to nobler per say, but it seems my savage is,lol. Tanks again.

4. backwoods83

backwoods83 Well-Known Member

I suggest H4350, Imr is great but I never could get enough under a 168 in winchester brass to get the velocity I was chasing. I have used 58.5grns of Imr under a 168 bt (uncoated combined tech) with good results .030" off the lands and the same charge under a 168 amax touching the lands, but my 06 go to is the 168 amax jammed over 59.5grn of H4350 with fed210M primer, gives me 2960fps from a 24" vanguard sub moa and shoots .4 moa with a 6fps ES, this also works with the bullet of your choice but runs about 20fps slower because of the coating. These are top end loads start atleast 4grns under.