Looking for a Spotting Scope for Shooting

41mag

I generally just use which ever scope I have on the rifle at the time for a spotting scope. I am however looking into picking up a decent priced one specifically for shooting out to around 300yds. IT doesn't have to cost a small fortune, but does need to be able to focus in clear enough to see the target and small holes clear and sharp.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

Not what you asked for but I feel like typing a few lines anyway.

The Kowa 820 (without flourite ) and a fixed power eyepiece is very clear. The scope costs an arm and a leg and then an extra eyepeice will cost another leg. I have both the 25WA and the 32WA lenses. It is reported to be very good late in the evening and early in the morning. We will find out about that in about two weeks.

Probably overkill for just checking targets at 300 yds.

Mike,
If your getting close to the Younger years in life (50) I suggest to spend the bucks and get a good glass w/ED lenses. You'll only be looking to get rid of the cheaper glass to get a better one you can see thru. I sold my Spacemaster and went with the B&L 80mm w/ED glass. I don't pack it, other than in the vehicle. I have the window mount and small tripod from the Spacemaster. Then you have something for the field if needed.

I use a Nikon Spotter XL II, 16X48 rubberized, water proof, sliding sunshade and tripod mount. Light enough to pack, heavy enough to feel good.

About 30X is the max power really usable due to mirage and my good eye. Light transmission or something, maybe my eye (the good one) falls off above 30 something plus.

Most spotting is done on 16X then zoom in to whatever is max for the day for a closer look.

Only two downers:
1) The front cover has a ring designed to hold the rear cover. When the wind blows it flops around a bit and the real lens cover falls off. On hot days it doesn't hold as well as on cold days. The front cover is made of rubber.

2) The metal threaded insert for the tripod mount appears be a bit thin. About 1/2 of the first thread on mine has split from the rest. The metal threaded insert looks as if its one of those helicoil thingers used to fix stripped threads.

Having said that its been beat around for over a year and I'd buy another if I needed one. (been thinking of getting another and making a set of big Eyes but APS/Sportsmans/Cabelas/Shell Oil is getting all of my fun muny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
....but APS/Sportsmans/Cabelas/Shell Oil is getting all of my fun muny

[/ QUOTE ]

If you'd sell that H-4 and get something more fuel efficient you might be able to swing it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

[ QUOTE ]
If you'd sell that H-4 and get something more fuel efficient you might be able to swing it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, my H-4 gets 30mpg and with my latest contraption installed (concedator) I'm bettin it goes up to 31.25 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Quit goffin' off and sell Mike a spotter. He needs to be at least able to 'see' a hoq @ 300 yds. Be sure to sell him something that can be used for spottin' for at least as far as his AM will shoot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

buffalobob,
right now I am only looking into something to use on the range which goes out to 300yds here locally. Nothing really all that fancy just something functional that can pick up down to .22 cal holes easily enough to identify.

Freebore,
not there yet but it seems to be gaining on me in leaps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I am really looking more for something to specifically use for the range so I guess the bulk isn't a big deal. I only have to carry it about 20 - 30 feet max.

Bill,
not sure on the price as of yet, I just tried out one I had sitting here this past weekend and decided I had had enough of wondering if the holes were actually that close or if a bug had landed. I also just picked up a new vidio camera for this fall so not sure how well the spotter is going to go over with the finiancial adviser. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Shoot me an e-mail with what you folks have on hand and I will try to look at something here. I am sure we can work out something if I find what I am looking for.

Roy,
I was thinking of the Nikon's as I have a set of bino's which are clear as a bell, and for the money I picked up two pairs of them over what I was going to get.

BTW, I can still see those hogs out further than I can hit them as of now, with out the spotting scope or bino's. It's the hitting them part, I still need to working on, well out past 700yds anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hopefully that will take a dramatic turn for the better in a week or so. Once I verify my drop table, with the clicks, it's all over for the piggies where ever they show up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I appreciate the input so far, I am hoping to get out to Ganger Mtn. this coming weekend and see what they have to look through to get a better idea on things. Worst case, I can just keep using the 5.5x22 NF, and at least when we're up in the country I will already be set if the hogs show up.

Mike

That is the thing on a forum. You need a strong back and a good shovel to deal with all of the advice you get /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Mike,
If your getting close to the Younger years in life (50) I suggest to spend the bucks and get a good glass w/ED lenses. You'll only be looking to get rid of the cheaper glass to get a better one you can see thru. I sold my Spacemaster and went with the B&L 80mm w/ED glass. I don't pack it, other than in the vehicle. I have the window mount and small tripod from the Spacemaster. Then you have something for the field if needed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good move, freebore. As I sit here looking at my Bushnell spacemaster, sitting in its fancy box, unused. I returned the first one and they sent me another just like it. I don't even like the chintzy tripod that comes with it. Were I shopping for a good spotting scope, I would look for an old B&L or Unertl 60mm on ebay.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts