Looking for a new rifle.

The Rem will be a nice system to build off of, but the 1:12 twist is way to slow to shoot any bullet worth shooting. The 1:9 twist will stabilize up to 69gr bullets, and you may get mucky and be able to shoot 77's. The action on the savages isn't as smooth and the trigger sucks, as does the stock, but they can all be upgraded with time. I've seen three out of the box Savage tacticals in 223 shoot .5MOA at 100 and 200 yards with mild handloads.

Something else to condisder. You can change the barrel, bolt face and mag boxes of the savage yourself, with minor tools and skills needed, so if you wanted a 308 or 284 or whatever later,, you buy a barrel, headspace guage, nut wrench and something to hold the action and your good to go. It'd be a single shot if you start with 223,, but you could shoot it.

FatBoy...

Welcome to LRH,

I've seen toooo many Savages easily out shoot Remingtons out of the box, so if out of the box accuracy is what you want...

You could forget about both the Remington and the Savage, and buy yourself a Tikka heavy barreled rifle. It will save you all kinds of headaches associated with out of the box Remington's and Savages.

SEBASTIAN: My decision was between the Rem 700 VLS and Savage 12BVSS in .223.(I have the VLS in .308 and am very satisfed, however.) Brought the Savage because (1)of all the good things that have been said on this and other boards about Savage, (2)lower price and (3)9" twist to shoot higher BC bullets (75g A-Max).

FATBOY: Have you tried 75g A-Max?

I have tried the 75's in about 50 diferent .223's, and about 25.2 grains seems to be the ticket, if you have some RL-15 around just beggin to get burned. Win brass, Fed 205, and not too deep in the lands.
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.