Looking for a handheld radio review..........

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by captjordan, Sep 1, 2006.

1. captjordan

captjordan Well-Known Member

Looking for 10 to 12 handheld radios for all the guys in Elk camp this year. We have some FRS's currently that claim to be 5 mile range, but get more like 2 mile straight, unobstructed line performance. I know that some have come out this year claiming 12 to 15 mile performance (so, I'd expect that they would really do 5 to 7 miles in real world performance). I'm looking for some that would be under $100 a pair..........please give any experience you guys have on a long range set of handhelds......must have subchannels.
    thx
    jordan

2. robbor

robbor Well-Known Member

I know my old motorola 2 mile frs radios are real bad, they have new 5 watt radios out supposidly good for 16-18 miles. Those are the ones i would try next.

3. captjordan

captjordan Well-Known Member

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Me thinks the only really reliable radio to do as you wish would be the satellite radio. Very pricey + usage minutes and I'm betting even they would be spotty when shadowed from direct view of the satellite.

I think that you may be between a rock and a hard place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Have you thought about obtaining an amateur radio license? It is Very Easy to do, and costs only $17.00 to take the test.

Radios such as the 5 watt, 2 meter Yaesu VX150 are MIL spec and cost anywhere from $65.00 - $120.00 (US); and they work exceptionally well. I have used this little hand held for several years and have been able to talk up to 65 miles away, using an external 1/4 wave antenna).

If you visit QRZ.com QRZ.COM you can learn more about amateur radio and take practice tests…

6. dbhostler

dbhostler Well-Known Member

Have a pair of Midland GXT 550s. Used them in Glacier this Summer. Would work well a couple of miles in different canyons and bottom forrest. Better with a line of sight shot. Cost about $65 a pair with charger, batteries and headpiece.
    db

7. Guest

Guest Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    Me thinks the only really reliable radio to do as you wish would be the satellite radio. Very pricey + usage minutes and I'm betting even they would be spotty when shadowed from direct view of the satellite.

I think that you may be between a rock and a hard place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My Sheriff and his deputies all have satellite phones. He tells me they haven't found a place yet they fail (His area is the little belt mountains Montana). He's got a pic on his desk of the biggest wolf I've ever seen (he shot it - legally). He's also seen Griz in the little Belts. He told me he pays $150/month and that gives him 150 free minutes/month.

Osamma said they worked everywhere in Afghanistan - a little too good (NSA was listening in).

I just bought a pair of 10 mile units ( $15 for the pair), they worked great for 2 miles. They exceeded my expectations. Got plenty of rock busting done this weekend.

8. 300rum

300rum Well-Known Member

Dear Captjordan,

Did you try GARMIN RINO 120-530. You have a combo unit GPS and RADIO in FRS (up to 5miles) and GMRS (up to 8 miles) chanells.
    I have the Canadian version and just yesterday I try it (Rino 120 on FRS) on field and run very well on 3.7 km. Between me and the another fellows it was 2 valley and 2 hells (1200m altitude) thru the deepest forest. I was on the ATV trying to see how far we can talk. I could talk, and see the distance between me and the another guys, plus I havit the location of all the guys in real time on my gps map.
    It is an asome tools.

Here is the link for you
    http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-rino-120-radio-gps/rino120.htm

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Wow that's really cool.

My only caution is that when it comes to electronics, they get better and cheaper every quarter. $200 is a bit expensive considering I just paid $15 for a pair that worked to 2 miles on FRS. It has GMRS channels, but I didn't even test that.