Looking for a good rangefinder.

Big Pard

Hey guys, I'm looking for a rangefinder that will range deer out to 600 yds relatively consistently. I realize that there are atmospheric/environmental conditions that can adversely effect ranging distance. I've read some of the posts about the Leica 1600 and Swarovski 8 x 30 but was wondering if there were any other options that may do what I want at alittle cheaper price. I live in Eastern NC so an angle meter won't be important as well as temp and pressure.

Thanks
Buddy

If~n you will ever graduate to speed goats, mulies or ELK etc. don't do as I did do as I say.:D I got the 400 then an 880 now the CRF 1600 LEICA. Save $ get the CRF 1600 LEICA to start with.gun)
Good luck.

And, have a MERRY MERRY & a HAPPY HAPPY

Second on the Leica 1600 to start with, but if you're set on some less expensive maybe look into the leupold TBR series. To get 600 yards consistently on game look for a rangefinder that is rated out to 800 or so. Luckily this kind of technology is getting cheaper rapidly.

Thanks fellas. Since the Leica 1600 usually runs around $800 and the Swarovski is only $200 more is the Swarovski worth the price difference. If I'm going to spend $800 I might as well spend the extra 2$00 if its worth the difference.

I had a Bushnell Legend 1000 but had difficulty ranging deer past 400, until I accidentally backed over it..... I just want something to range deer out to 600 yards and I'm not concerned with a ballistic compensator or weather measure.

Thanks
Buddy

Actually, if you read all of the reviews that people have put on here, you will find that the Leica 1600 actually does better than the Swarovski. Reason being that the beam is smaller and stronger on the Leica and will not give false readings because it hit a tree that you were not meaning to range.

Take a look at the thread below. Read the whole thing and I think that you will find which one is better suited for you. I went with the Leica 1600 and couldnt be happier.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...-leica-crf-1600-rangemaster-73650/#post514470

Do you have a vetronix? if so whitch one? I have a 8-30 Swavro, looking for more distance What kind of distance? thanks

Do you have a vetronix? if so whitch one? I have a 8-30 Swavro, looking for more distance What kind of distance? thanks

My Vectronix PLRF10 will range anything in most light conditions right up to 3000 yards. I have ranged coyote at a mile, antelope to 2000, and elk to over 2500 yards.

In moderate snow as far as I could see. And elk through the windshield to 800 yards.

Jeff

I had a nikon 800 . it had trouble ranging a caribou at 400 yards . if you want to range every time on fur to 600 yards you need to be looking at ones rated to 1200 or more , preferably more . IMO you can't get one too big . Jim

I had a nikon 800 . it had trouble ranging a caribou at 400 yards . if you want to range every time on fur to 600 yards you need to be looking at ones rated to 1200 or more , preferably more . IMO you can't get one too big . Jim

Sooo... Your saying size does matter in this case:D:Dlightbulb

The Swaro has better glass than the Leice (thus it works better as a substitute for binoculars), but the Leice 1600 ranges better than the Swaro for less money--at least based on the one I owned. Makes perfect sense as the Leica has a smaller beam divergence.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.