looking for a good .308 bullet for elk

Find the bullet that YOUR rifle likes, that YOU can put where it needs to be and use that.

My rifles have "liked" all controlled expansion bullets I've tried out to 300 yards with respect to placement in large game lethal diameters thus far. Which explains why I experience no handicap in carrying them in the magazine for closer range encounters on large game. The benefits are they will expand and penetrate deeply on frontal shots on large animals at close range.

What's the results of the bergers up close?

What many would expect from a soft lead core bullet wrapped in a paper thin copper jacket, impacting at high velocity. My first experience firing a 210 VLD from a .300 Win Mag to finish off a black bear at a distance of 7 yards resulted in complete shrapnel of the bullet within approximately 10" of penetration. The bear was lying on its side. I shot it in the brisket. No portion of the bullet reached the interior of the top of the heart/lung cavity, let alone exit the back of this bear. The bear was 80% dead when I fired this finishing shot, and was killed outright. But I wasn't content or impressed with the lack of penetration.

I don't claim they all, or even the majority, perform like this at close range high velocity impact, because I've never used one up close again. I have no additional first hand experiences. I've read of other similar experiences posted by others. The larger the game animal and the greater the distance of penetration required in order to reach the vitals (like a 1200 lb moose), the greater the odds that a high velocity impact won't reach the vitals. They have excellent long range attributes, where the impact velocity is reduced. That doesn't make them the ideal, one stop shopping bullet for all other uses - in my opinion.

Here's the link to the Thread covering my early-on 210 VLD experience with this mid-sized black bear:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-210-vld-black-bear-field-report-31392/

That brings to mind an interesting problem.

Intending to shoot beyond 400 yards and winding up shooting at < 100 yards.

After reading various about expansion and energy transfer and talking to a retired guide.

For that close shot a gaping hollow point or broad soft point but that long range shot normal thinking.

So after the conversation with the retired guide who favored the idea of keeping a thumper chambered or in the top of the magazine.

Now the question:

Do any of you keep a thumper or 2 in the top in case if Mr. Bruin or that close shot?

Shooting a bolt gun, it should not be a problem to quickly change loads. If your loaded with 200 grains for a 600 yard shot and find a 100 yard opportunity, take it out and stick in a 168 or 180 gr or what ever. I hunt with both .300 WM and .308 and this how I do it. 50 yards or 1000 yards, you're always ready. If your going to carry several with you anyhow, it might as well be a verity.

I mark my casings so I know what it is.

I don't claim that all VLDs, or even the majority, perform like this at close range high velocity impact, because I've never used one up close again.

Here's the link to the Thread covering my early-on 210 VLD experience with this mid-sized black bear:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-210-vld-black-bear-field-report-31392/

I have used the 210 VLDs again. I haven't used them at point blank range again, and avoid doing so. But I shot a larger black bear standing in the same location from the same spot, same rifle and bullet a spring or two later. Deja vu. That time my rifle was zeroed and the bear dropped in spectacular fashion - as shown in the Berger promotional videos. Instant lights out. This boar hit the ground so fast I barely saw any of it. A solid hit thru the rib cage. I don't mean to say the VLDs don't perform well. I think they're a better bullet down range after the velocity has slowed a bit. If you need to shoot a large animal up close at high velocity with the VLD, it would be best to stick it in the ribs on a broadside shot to help ensure the explosive expansion reaches, and destroys, the vitals in the boiler room.

Which explains why I carry two loads/bullets when I hunt. Berger or another high BC bullet that shoots accurately in my rifle for long range application. Controlled-expansion bullets for just off the muzzle on out to 300-400 yd shots.

Is there a bullet that will perform in both 50yds to 600yds? Just wondering cause my luck if I take 2 different loads I will grab the wrong one.

Is there a bullet that will perform in both 50yds to 600yds? Just wondering cause my luck if I take 2 different loads I will grab the wrong one.

200 accubond, 200 game king, 175 LRX. The key to having a 50-600 yard bullet for elk is having a controlled expansion bullet but they need about 1800'sec to open up. Now the GK isn't a controlled expansion bullet and the 1500'sec threshold shows that but if you don't push them too fast, they're great.

If I chose the 308 I'd use the 200 GK. 300 mag I'd use the 200 AB. These are 50-600 yard combinations.

I have found an outfitter and now i am wanting a good bullet to drop elk with. I have some 190gr berger vld hunting bullets but haven't used them on game. I will be taken 2 rifles and if possible would like to use same bullet in both rifles. Will be using 308, 30-06, 300wm, & or 300rum. Not sure that 308 will get much velocity but if it would handle the heavy bullets it would be less weight. Please give thoughts and opinions. Never been on an elk hunt and don't want to mess it up if given the chance for the shot. I would also like to be able to have a bullet that will stay stable out to 600yds or possibly further. I hope to have one within bow range but want to have a bullet capable of an ethical kill at a long range if that is all that presents itself. I want to get started on load development now so I can get the loads worked and the practice in before the hunt is here. Thanks James

I harvested a bull elk last year with 190 Berger VLD at 931 yards but only because I ran out of .210 and couldn't find any .215s. :D

I agree with BNG ...

This year I'm running the Berger 215 in my 308 Win, it's the go to bullet for the 300 Win as well.

Data is fun, but alot of shooting a bullet/combination you enjoy shooting creates a confidence in you that really makes a difference...in my opinion.

I have 2 rifles in .308 caliber. One is a 300 RUM and the other is a 3006. I shot Swift Sirocco bullets in both of them. Just worked out that both rifles liked this bullet. Between the two rifles and also letting others use one rifle or the other for various reasons I think there are probably somewhere around 11 elk killed and the sirocco has performed fantastic both near and far.

I don't use this bullet in any of my other rifles, because I haven't tried them, but I would expect they should perform well in other calibers.

I have also been happy with the sirocco on smaller game like deer and antelope as well.

Not sure if this helps but that's my 2 cents worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.