Looking for a 6.5 cartridge

Those SSM'a are REALLY sexy. I have been thinking about building one just because of that. I need a good .22 cal, maybe the .223 wssm! (for me that is).

on another note, I love it when these threads dribble down into spattering opinions and people not thinking about what they are saying. it makes for some really good laughs when reactions get posted!!

I just got my Hart back last week in 6.5mm-06 AI. Havent fired it yet, but plan to this week. so there you have my bias.

Another vote for the 6.5-284 here. Very easy to shoot and super accurate. Lapua brass is available also.
I was interested in the 6.5 SAUM but the lack of brass was a huge negative. If brass becomes easier to find then I will probably have one built. If not, I have a short action 700 that will turn into a 6.5x47 next year. Lapua brass is readily available for that also.

Have had a 6.5x284 for a few years and a 6.5 SAUM coming next month. You just need to prioritize what you want. 6.5x47 to 26 Nosler will all work great for the intended purpose. I think that something in the middle like a 6.5x284 will work the best for you. Keep the 140's velocity under 2950 and barrel life ain't that bad.

If I was going to do it over again I'd go with the 6.5x06 ac imp. brass is easy to come by and powder for this load is also easier. Most people I know if not using a 26 inch barrel or plus in the in the 6.5x284, or reloading with retumbo are not running over 3000 fps. Retumbo is hard to find and I mean hard to find. I have not been able to purchase any in over 8 months. Also the 260 would be the next option if I was looking at something to fit your bill. Brass is easy to find and you can get (I don't know where) but you can get 260 lapua brass according to there web sight. Powder I think for the 260 is also similar to the 308. so proabablly 4064, 4831, 4350, and some others...For me I'm a sucker for speed. I really don't case much about the barrel burning out...I shoot my 6.5x284 every chance I get. I just wish I could get more speed out of it. Retumbo is the only thing that showed any promise out of the powders I have but I need to save all I have for another fire burner my 300RUM. My 6.5 has a 24 inch barrel which I load hybrid 100V at max book load. I get 2845fps. in a 140 berger. It's a stock ss 116 savage. Once the barrel is burned out I may go with something that has a lot more speed or go to a 26 inch barrel or both. Just my 2 pennies.

Last edited:
So I think I have changed my mind again on what I want to a 6.5-284. (I know I am as bad as a woman, haha) I was wonder about reamers for it. If I wanted a specific neck size with a longer chamber for loading the vld bullets, would I have to custom order a reamer, buy one in the configuration I want, or would a smith have one? If I do have to special order one, how would I go about doing that?

You can special order one for sure, just get in touch with PTG & Dave will whip you one up. Most 'smiths should be able to accomodate what you want though. First step, pick your 'smith & discuss; they may have what you need on hand or they can assist with your reamer order if necessary.

BTW- ain't nuthin' wrong with the 6.5x284 :cool:

t

You can special order one for sure, just get in touch with PTG & Dave will whip you one up. Most 'smiths should be able to accomodate what you want though. First step, pick your 'smith & discuss; they may have what you need on hand or they can assist with your reamer order if necessary.

BTW- ain't nuthin' wrong with the 6.5x284 :cool:

t

What he said

You can specify any neck size, but most commonly, if guys want to turn their necks down it seems like they go with a .290 neck.

The problem with having a smaller neck (as opposed to a standard neck which is like .294 or something) is that you get significantly less shots out of your brass before the neck splits. so instead of 10 reloads, you get like 3 or 4 with Lapua brass. from what I have heard, unless you are competing, the extra accuracy you get from neck turning is not worth the cost in brass and case prep time.

I have a 6.5-06 AI that I had originally thought about the .290 neck but after hearing that you get less case life, I chose the standard neck.

If you do go ahead and get the smaller neck, I have a Sinclair neck turning tool that I will sell you cheap!!:D

What I read was that most Laupa brass is around .296 neck diameter, so I was thinking that if I neck turned down the .293 it would be just enough to shave a little bit off of each piece of brass even if some piece had a smaller neck diameter but it would not take off too much brass. I could then used a .290 die to get my neck tension.

All good carts. Mine is the Creedmoor. I'm getting 2800 fps with 140 Berger Hunting VLDs and 43 gr of H4350. In the. .3 moa from a factory Ruger Hawkeye 26" . I'm on 8 loadings of some of my Hornady brass and still have not split a neck. . I like the medium 6.5s because you get a lot of performance for little money. . To gain another 150 fps I would need to burn 10 more gr of powder. More noise, recoil and shorter barrel life.

But , they are all great rounds.

All good carts. Mine is the Creedmoor. I'm getting 2800 fps with 140 Berger Hunting VLDs and 43 gr of H4350. In the. .3 moa from a factory Ruger Hawkeye 26" . I'm on 8 loadings of some of my Hornady brass and still have not split a neck. . I like the medium 6.5s because you get a lot of performance for little money. . To gain another 150 fps I would need to burn 10 more gr of powder. More noise, recoil and shorter barrel life.

All very good points to consider.

If I were building a 6.5mm rifle it would be either a .260 Rem or 6.5-06. Since good quality .260 brass is less available than 25-06 brass which can easily be formed into 6.5-06 brass I would probably go with the 6.5-06. Then again, short actions are supposed to be more accurate than longer actions... I'm so confused!

I think I like the 6.5-06 better because I'm a 30-06 freak... lol

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.