Looking at Sharps

switchbackkd

Need help with Sharps calenders. I was looking at a 50-90 or 45-120 or a 50-140. Any one have any experience with these.

I agree with the above, unless you are Billy Dixon, there are much better choices for anything over 400 yards.

Need help with Sharps calenders. I was looking at a 50-90 or 45-120 or a 50-140. Any one have any experience with these.

I have a 45/70,45/90,45/110 and a 45/120 and the 45/110 is my favorite for hunting and the
45/120 is the best long range cartrige for the Sharps.

The 50/140 was a power house but brass is all most none existent and terribly expensive.

You can buy the 45 basic(3.25") and make any of the 45s with it.

I use 777 to get the equivalent of 120grains of black powder in the 45/120 with normal bullet
seating (Cases will not hold 120 grains unless you paper patch the bullets and seat them long.

In the 45/110 I use the Shockleys. If you use black powder have a can/jar of water with a little
soap handy and drop the brass in it as soon as you fire it to save the brass.

They are fun to shoot and can be surprisingly accurate at 800 to 1000 yards.

J E CUSTOM

What kind velocities were you getting with the 45-120 and 50-140? Also what weight/type of powder were you using?

I'm looking at a long range single shot rifle. I'm not a fan of the Remington 700 action and i really like single shots. I have looked at Luxus Arms 11 and Dakota Arms Model 10 and miler special. I looked into the sharp because i have some original sharps. But there pieces of history and I don't want to take them out anymore into field hunting.

Understandable that the Sharps don't have what the new modern stuff packs. But the last hunt my grandfather was on he took a mule deer at 660 with a 50-90.

I'm looking at a long range single shot rifle. I'm not a fan of the Remington 700 action and i really like single shots. I have looked at Luxus Arms 11 and Dakota Arms Model 10 and miler special. I looked into the sharp because i have some original sharps. But there pieces of history and I don't want to take them out anymore into field hunting.

Understandable that the Sharps don't have what the new modern stuff packs. But the last hunt my grandfather was on he took a mule deer at 660 with a 50-90.
Look then at the winchester low walls and ruger number one's both of which are available in great modern long range calibers.

Get the best of both worlds... .

As a disclaimer, the 45-70 is one of my personal all time favorites but I recognize it's limitations.

I looked at the rifles on this page and there nice guns but I carried a Long Range gun around for the Royal Army for a few years just wanted to get away from that.

I didn't know Winchester still made them.

I looked at the rifles on this page and there nice guns but I carried a Long Range gun around for the Royal Army for a few years just wanted to get away from that.

I didn't know Winchester still made them.
The ruger number one is one of, if not the, best and strongest actions ever made for sporting rifles.

If single shot, falling blocks are your "thing" I'd say give it a close look.

The best thing about them is all you need ever do is rebarrel and you have a quick change to a new caliber.

The ruger number one is one of, if not the, best and strongest actions ever made for sporting rifles.

If single shot, falling blocks are your "thing" I'd say give it a close look.

The best thing about them is all you need ever do is rebarrel and you have a quick change to a new caliber.

It's a great action. Bill Ruger outdid himself with his pet rifle. However, the forend leaves a bit to be desired. The forestock is very flexible and contacts the barrel causing odd groupings. It's fixable but shouldn't have to be.

I have one in 300 Wby Magnum.

have a 74 sharps in 45-90 that I used for BPCR silhouette matches. Have shot it out to 1000 yards with black powder and a 560grn cast bullet. Also had a new Winchester Hi-wall in 45-90. I like the feel of the hiwall way better then the sharps but the triggers on the new winchester hi-walls cant be set up with a set trigger and for matches didn't cut it. For modern cartridges the Ruger is a better choice.

What kind velocities were you getting with the 45-120 and 50-140? Also what weight/type of powder were you using?

The best velocity I can get with My 45/120 using 777 and a 628 grain Postell bullet has been
an average of 1690 ft/sec.

And the 45/110 using a 500 grain bullet with Shockley's is an average of 1500 ft/sec.

All of my 45s are on a pedersoli Sharps action except the 45/120 that is built on a Browning
1885 High Wall.

If you intended to use smokeless powder. I would recomend the browning, Ruger, or a bolt
action even though the materials are modern the reproduction sharps may not handle the
pressure of smokeless powder.

I never chronographed the 50/140 with the 700 grain bullet but the reloading book said it was
around 1355 ft/sec. The 550 grain produced 1700 ft/sec.

J E CUSTOM