Looking at buying some new reloading tools.

hillajam

Santa was good to me this year and I am planning on buying some case prep tools. I am planning on buying a primer pocket uniformer(Lyman), case length trimmer(Redding), case lube kit(RCBS), and a flash hole deburrer(Redding). Does any one have any input on these choices.

I was also thinking about getting the RCBS power station but figured to save the money and get the hand tools.

I also have a question about the flash hole deburring tool. How do you know you aren't taking too much material away? I started reloading two years ago so I'm not a pro at all.

Santa was good to me this year and I am planning on buying some case prep tools. I am planning on buying a primer pocket uniformer(Lyman), case length trimmer(Redding), case lube kit(RCBS), and a flash hole deburrer(Redding). Does any one have any input on these choices.

I was also thinking about getting the RCBS power station but figured to save the money and get the hand tools.

I also have a question about the flash hole deburring tool. How do you know you aren't taking too much material away? I started reloading two years ago so I'm not a pro at all.

If you plan on doing any quantity at all, then buy yourself an RCBS trim mate. Hand tools will wear out your hands long before you've assembled a box of ammo. Hand trim machines are fine. I've processed at least 5000 rounds with my trim mate and its going strong. The various operations I use it for are: primer pocket uniformer, primer pocket brush, flash hole deburr, VLD ID chamfer, OD chamfer and mouth polish (varmint al's steel wool polisher).

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Ma...=CategoryDisplay&categoryId=C11J037&route=C11

For case lube, just use oneshot spray. For the flash hole, the lyman tool has a little stop that contacts the case mouth so you don't go too far, but you'll feel when its right, just a couple turns and you'll feel the bur come off.

If you want to get real fancy (you didn't sound like it), there is a machine called a Giraurd trimmer that also preps the brass.

With the Lyman flash hole deburrer, do you have to set the stop your self for different length cases?

yes. Use an allen key to loosen up the stop, then trim one by feel, and then turn off the machine. Snug up the stop and tighten the allen set screw. Then go baby go... There's nothing to it really...

I have the lyman tool installed on my trim mate (no handle).

The Lyman unit indexes off the case mouth to control the depth of cut, ensure that all cases have been uniformed (trimmed) to length prior to deburring/chamfering the primer pocket.

I also just bought the RCBS trim mate,that was probably one of the best reloading tools I have ever bought,especially for unifoming primer pockets.It actually works very vell for everything it is intended for.

Welcome to Sinclair International's Online Store

I am new here but I have been reloading for over 30 years, I would like to suggest the aboveg web sight for the best case trimmer.
It's the Wilson case trimmer.
There is nothing as ease to use and as accurate for repeated length sizing. It uses a collet to hold the case which just slides in. The collet is set in the tool and a knurled knob is tightened to hold it in place.
There is a Micrometer adjustment that sets the length and once set is held in place with another knurled set screw.
You can trim a case in seconds. That's from picking up the case to removing from the collets.
Collets run about $20 and there is nothing to wear out but the cutting head and it easily replacable. I have had mine for 4 years and its trimmed thousands of cases.
I would also like to suggest Sinclair international for those serious reloaders out there.
I have been buying from them for over 8 years and they have some of the best equipment and simple idea equipment on the market.
Like the case mouth trimmer. How many of you hand trim with an RCBS case mouth trimmer?
How long does it take to trim 100 223 cases both inside and out?
Want to make that much faster?
Look here. Only 13$
http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=WSA&type=store

The Lyman uniformer and deburrer tools work great, have both and I dont see any reason to get different. Cant go wrong with RCBS case lube, its water soluble and cleans up great, works great too use fingers to rub on in very thin layer.No comment Redding flash hole deburrer or case lenght trimmer - but Lee makes a handy tool to trim cases, and if you really want quality get a Wilson trimmer (Forsters are good too).. get some bronze bore brushes to fit your cal and a good VLD chamfer tool, well worth the cabbage. you will know why when seating. Lee or RCBS hand priming tools good too.

The Lyman uniformer and deburrer tools work great, have both and I dont see any reason to get different. Cant go wrong with RCBS case lube, its water soluble and cleans up great, works great too use fingers to rub on in very thin layer.No comment Redding flash hole deburrer or case lenght trimmer - but Lee makes a handy tool to trim cases, and if you really want quality get a Wilson trimmer (Forsters are good too).. get some bronze bore brushes to fit your cal and a good VLD chamfer tool, well worth the cabbage. you will know why when seating. Lee or RCBS hand priming tools good too.
Just deburr a couple twists, you want a light chamfer to get rid of any small metal interfences, not rout out entire flash hole, you will see a little shiny ring .

+1 on the Wilson trimmer. Sinclair sells a micrometer adjustment for it (also sells the trimmer with the micrometer adjust) that is very nice, but not strictly necessary.

Andy

One other item that Sinclair has for the Wilson trimmer. Its a small stand that allows the trimmer to be set and not mounted to a bench and gives a small place that comes with a plastic, looks like a hockey puck, that give you something to knock the case against if it gets stuck in the collet.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.