Looking at buying a Savage in .204

Ryan

This past summer I went hunting prairie dogs in SD. We used 223's and 22-250's. I was wandering if anyone had shot a Savage varmint rifle in a .204? It will be used mainly for varmint and some benchrest shooting. Thanks for any help.

[ 10-08-2004: Message edited by: JRMoney ]

Savage makes some great "factory " rifles. But in 204 ? I guess that depends on what you call long range ? I think most on this board would start at 500 yds. BC weight, and remaining velocity, are the most important considerations....The 204 might make a good 300 yd. PD gun, but when the breeze picks up ?
rolleyes.gif

What I really want is a caliber to shoot accurately 300 to 400 yds, use it for prairie dogs in the summer and deer in the fall. That may be too much to ask but I can't really afford to buy two guns right now. What about a .308? I'm just afraid there would be too much recoil for PD shooting.

I think asking the 20 cal to be a 400 yard PD gun is a bit much.....also the 308 would be the better Deer cartridge. If the recoil is too much for PD's consider a MB for the 308...
cool.gif

This is just my opinion, but I think you were using a couple of excellent prarrie dog calibers in the 223 and 22-250. The 223 should handle those shots out to 300 yards and the other takes over, past that distance. The economics of squirrel or prarrie dogs dictates something cheap to load for, and you cannot beat the 223 for that application.

204 Ruger is something I have not played with. You are going to need the special things that seventeen shooters require, funnel, cleaning rod, etc. Cost per kill? Can't help you, but I suspect that it is a little more expensive to shoot; it may be inferior, or superior, ballistically? Beats me? Sure isn't a deer gun, to most people.

Looking for a dual purpose rig, right?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>What I really want is a caliber to shoot accurately 300 to 400 yds, use it for prairie dogs in the summer and deer in the fall. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you would be very happy with a 243. Covers all your requirements, but it is not brand new and trendy. Even so, that's what I'd do.

Good hunting. LB

The .243 might be what I need to get. Now the next question is which gun? I've been looking at Savage and CZ, they are both very good right out of the box. I like the new accu-trigger on the Savage, however I have not shot the CZ, but hear wonderful things about it, I know I need to shoot one for myself. What are the pros and cons of each rifle? Thanks for your help.

[ 10-10-2004: Message edited by: JRMoney ]

A Savage represents value, but it is not an example of the finest workmanship. Who cares, as long as it shoots, right? Well, maybe?

The only CZ that I have used, a .19 Calhoon, kind of "retro" but very pleasing lines, with an excellent trigger.

You might like either (or) both, but the CZ has a much nicer finish, and costs more. I don't especially care for the protruding magazine, but that is the only negative I would have with the CZ.

In any case, the pure utility of the 243 cartridge seems an intelligent compromise, although it may be a little boring, compared to the excitement of a new introduction; such as the 204 Ruger. As far as I know, you have a range of bullets from 56 to 105 grain, so handloading will allow you to do everything you want.....with slightly more recoil.

Good luck with your choice, LB

Maybe I'm just going to have to get honest and real with myself. I'm not going to be lugging some heavy barreled rifle in the mountains of Arkansaw looking for a deer. If I'm going to get a new gun it will be for PD shooting and shooting at the range. What caliber would you get? I don't reload but my father-in-law does. Thanks for all the help.

IMO the .204 won't be much good if you plan to handload as it needs a special ball powder that isn't available yet (well at least not available in australia) to my knowledge.
Have you concidered any of the WSSM chamberings?

JRMoney
For good info on the 20's and 14-22cals try www.woodchuckden.com In Ohio 330-897-0614. Great guys for small cal info.
I haven't shot the 204 but I can tell you the 20 Var Targ (221 necked down) with 36 grain MEF Bergers shot some insane groups at 300 yards out of a Cooper.(The MEF's explode on impact)

Seems like the question is evolving?

I get the impression that you don't actually own a 223 or a 22-250? In any case, since you do not reload, I think either of those two calibers is a "can't lose" if you think that you really want, and need a dedicated rifle for shooting live targets.

I'd lean towards the 22-250. You will never be sorry.

Good hunting. LB

I don't own a 223 or 22-250, the ones that we used PD hunting were my father-in-law's. He just wanted me to try both of them out, and I really couldn't tell much difference between the two. The dogs that we shot at were around 400 yds out. He mainly used the 22-250, and I shot both of them equally. The good thing about getting a 22-250 is he's been loading shells since we got back in August. Thanks for all of everyones help. I'm going with the 22-250 in the Savage.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.